PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Smoking a GBD Colossus Virgin lumberman.
I was a kretek smoker for many years so I submitted a search for "clove" on Smokingpipes.com.

The only result was this.. G&H Bosun Cut Plug "unscented". As it was only available in bulk I decided to try an ounce.

Couple days later it arrived and my first thought was that it LOOKED an awful lot like bobs chocolate flake. Deep dark browns sprinkled with sticky sugar crystals. I tore open the baggie and took a whiff.. ooo sweet heavenly spices!

I impatiently packed a bowl after rubbing some out roughly. The texture was lovely; soft broken Flake with ample moisture but not wet.
The flavor had me from the first puff. Natural tasting clove, some nutmeg and allspice, and perhaps just a pinch of anise. Whoever concocted the casing sauce could probably be a chef.

The wonderful and seasonal flavors persisted throughout the bowl and left me feeling very satisfied. I'll be ordering more once the 1oz. sample is exhausted. Good on yall, Gawith and Hogarth!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
This is a blend that has evaded my orders for years, shoved aside by some latakia laden blend usually. I have got to prioritize this blend, thanks for the reminder!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
That sounds delicious but it makes me wonder if it's actually unscented or if you got a scented version.
Edit: No the unscented version is flavored

Dark-fired Virginias and bright Virginias are combined and pressed with flavors of clove essence.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I've just smoked the Coniston Cut Plug Unscented (which is also quite scented!), and it was good, but I think clove topping would be even more enjoyable than the floral notes of the Coniston.
Thanks for the review--I'm not sure I was aware that there were any Lakelands with clove scent, but I've always though clove oil seems from the same "family" of flavorings used in that genre.
You may also want to look at the McConnell Ripe Honeydew review that was just posted--it mentions cloves as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.