PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
This is the first blend I actually bought a fairly large quantity ( a 500 g box and a 50 g tin ) based solely on descriptions from their website and the few reviews to be found on the 'net. I could not have been more pleased with my decision.
In the tin, there are rough cut flakes, about 1 mm thick, fairly wet and packaged inside a cellophane bag, sort of stuck together as if they were just sliced off a big plug. Despite the moisture level, the flakes are fairly easy to shred apart with one's fingers. The tin note is of dewy flowery hay. It's a Lakeland after all.
They can be smoked straight out of the tin with fairly ill results, the taste gets lost with too many relights and is quite aggravating. I found that fluffing out some of the big flake and letting it air out for about an hour or so in our dry climate works wonders. I fold-and-stuff my flakes, but this particular blend doesn't take well to that.
Once prepared and loaded in a bent Apple ( Peterson 03 shape ), the baccy takes to light wonderfully. On the charring light, notes of sweet lemon peel seep through, but without being overbearing, they provide a dimension to the smoke. The true light carries through the lemon-and-hay flavor of the VA throughout the entire bowl, as the burley adds nuttiness and a touch of woody note, but no overpowering kick. It smokes slow and easy, and a "spring is in the air" feeling permeates throughout the whole bowl. There's a lot of VA here so one must take their time. It won't bite like a ferret, but the taste will suffer dramatically. Said Peterson 03 provided a long 45 minute smoke out of approx 2 grams of baccy. I smoke outdoors most of the time so I can't comment on the room note. It burned down to a fine gray ash. The lemony flavor will linger in your mouth for a while, a nice clean taste not unlike that of a crisp German Riesling, or wild apples. Nicotine level perhaps 4 on a 1-10 scale, this is a good all day smoke, although not particularly suited for the cold Alaskan winters when the need arises for a Latakia bomb or a strong dark flake.
This blend is very nice. Even Lakeland haters might enjoy this one.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
@rcstan. I love this blend myself, and have added 3 pounds to my cellar. Can't wait to taste it after a year or two of aging. Burns cool and full of flavor. As a matter of fact this happens to be what I'm smoking as we speak. Good stuff. I have really be liking some of the GH blends. You should try Bobs Chocolate Flake too.
:puffpipe:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
BB #2 is one of my absolute favorites. I enjoy it more than Best Brown Flake, for example, although they are really two different animals.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
gecko13 I'm slowly making my way through both GH and SG non-Lat blends. I might have to put up a "send me your Lakelands" post on the trader.....
rothnh thanks for the suggestion on dedicating pipes to Lakelands, even different pipes to different Lakelands, or the flavors will clash ( Grousemoor after BB#2 is particularly strange ).

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks for posting the review here, and on http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/gawith-hoggarth--co-best-brown-2
I have a 1.5 year old unopened tin of this that I feel like cracking open now.

Status
Not open for further replies.