PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
Beef jerky.
That's what this looks like in the baggy sent from Pipes and Cigars' website. It bends like jerky. It pulls apart like very moist, tender jerky.
Pouch note is just so wonderful. It's very pleasant, just a tobacco aroma that makes you smile (remember those coffee commercials where the woman would sniff her coffee and smile? That's what I get when I stick my nose into the bag and take a whiff!). I don't know why it does that, but it's certainly not what I can say will happen when each of you gives this a whirl. As can never be overstated or stressed enough, your mileage may vary.
When I picked up a flake, it drooped down, in similar fashion to very flexible fabric. But it pulls apart quite easily, like string cheese already peeled and piled for you to grab. Nice! Moisture content is a little high, but I actually prefer it this way. It seems to produce more aroma, and as I mentioned before, it's quite pleasant.
Being that this is a flake, I've loaded this using several methods: fold and stuff, rubbed out, picked apart into individual leaf particles, rolled into a ball and gravity fed, straight and blended. I like the ball configuration, but that's a personal preference. It's quite squishy but stays put when loaded.
Char light note: Strong, a little bit spicy but not Picayune spicy. Love the flavor profile. By the gods, I cannot say I like any other blend of tobacco above this. It's a smooth and dry hit to the tongue.
True light: It almost sticks around in char light due to moisture content, so I have decided that I shall use hemp wick for further experimentation regarding lighting a pipe. When it dried up over the course of a couple of days, this isn't a problem, but it still tastes wonderful. Not being very experienced, I can't pick out individual nuances or flavors, but all I know beyond shadow of doubt is that this is my favorite blend ever (for now).
Nicotine: Here's what you should do-- weld some handlebars to the chair of your choice to help you stand up. Get a lifting chair if you're pairing this with Arrogant Bastard Ale. It's almost an immediate head rush when smoked on an empty stomach (which I did this morning after a bike ride and no breakfast), but nothing made me feel as if regurgitation was imminent. With a large enough bowl, however, I believe this might have become unavoidable. This is the exact reason why I chug for about two minutes then drift into a sipping motion-- to get to a point where I feel the throat frog try to escape, and then slow it down to cruise the rest of the way into a peaceful relaxation to the bottom of the bowl.
Well, there you have it. Being that this is my current favorite, I wish to order this in bulk and always have this on standby. I actually wish never to be without G&H DFU. Finances allowing, I will accumulate this into the largest mason jar I can find.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Mars Cigars sells Dark Plug, which is what they slice the flakes from as far as I can tell. A bit smoother than the flakes though. Might be worth a try.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"Unscented" should really be "less scented". I really wanted to like this flake, but the damned Lakelands is still there. Also true of the plug, which I had the good fortune to sample at Philly's Christopher Morley Pipe Club, courtesy of PM member twoonefive. Is there anything that leaves the GH factory unscathed by Lakelands? What does this hold for Samuel Gawith blends, now that they, too are made at the Gawith plant?

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
bonehed: I have yet to give the plugs a try. Plugs and twists are on my to-try list for this year.
woodsroad: As I have not yet enjoyed anything from Samuel Gawith, I couldn't be certain what a Lakeland blend tastes like. But I will be ordering some Black XX next month, which should be as Lakeland as it gets yes? :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
"Unscented" should really be "less scented". I really wanted to like this flake, but the damned Lakelands is still there
I'm still recovering from my last Lakeland encounter -- like getting hugged by a Great Aunt wearing too much rosewater perfume -- from an "unscented" GH blend. Great tobacco, horrible topping.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
But I will be ordering some Black XX next month, which should be as Lakeland as it gets yes? :puffy:
I think the lakeland as lakeland as it gets would be ennerdale flake. I've never had it, personally I love G&H Unscented tobacco's, I can taste a bit of a rose or almond flavor in the background, but over time I can't even taste it anymore. Kendal flake is a very nice scented lakeland by them which is a very citrus flavor.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In a recent jar of DF Unscented, a found a slight Lakeland note, which is very unusual. The scented is also very good, which I would call moderate.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Mars Cigars sells Dark Plug, which is what they slice the flakes from as far as I can tell. A bit smoother than the flakes though. Might be worth a try.
Just bought 500gr. of the plug from Mars. Will post my thoughts when it arrives. Convinced my Beloved that it would withstand the coming "Tobaccolypse"...

I think that if you buy a whole box of the flakes it comes without any scents. I have gotten a few oz bags that may have had a slight scent, but I think that may be from being stored close to one of the scented versions. The unbroken whole box seems to come without any of that scent and just pure cosmopolitan flavor. Believe me, if there were any hint of lakeland in there, I wouldn't care for it at all. But, as it is, I have bought five boxes of this last year.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've only got a box of BCF, all of the unscented flakes I've got in bulk have been fine as in terms of being unscented, so I wonder if the scent transfer happens at the retailers storage? Or if some retailers mistakingly send the scented flake by mistake sometimes? There's also flakes like BB#2 that are scented but I don't know if people realize they're supposed to be? The dark flake u/s I tried had no trace of lakeland scent, I just find it one heck of a powerhouse

+1, that was what I was suggesting, Andy. Lakelands can affect everything around them. My first order had the scented versions, and I stored them in the same drawer as my Virginias. I ended up tossing most of my Virginias, along with the scented Dark flake. If the retailer has the DF unscented anywhere close to the lakelands, it would corrupt the open bulk bag. But, my whole block boxes always come without a hint of lakeland. YMMV

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I wonder if the scent transfer happens at the retailers storage? Or if some retailers mistakingly send the scented flake by mistake sometimes?
I'm wondering the same. Mine had a full-on scent that was detectable several feet away from behind closed doors.
My first order had the scented versions, and I stored them in the same drawer as my Virginias. I ended up tossing most of my Virginias, along with the scented Dark flake.
Some of -- some of -- the scent burns off with time and drying. I was fortunate to store mine next to non-tobacco objects, but I was tempted to do the same.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Lately I have been smoking the scented version and love it. I like most G&H blends, but this one is one of their finest. The tobacco I received was scented, however it is very light, nothing like Ennerdale perfume levels.

I will have to try the unscented soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.