PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barling

Lurker
Jan 9, 2012
Northern California
I scored a tin of this legendary blend from the marked "Circa '85" at my favorite tobacconist. Age has turned the paper liner a translucent dark brown. The tin aroma immediately threw me back to my college days. The Syrian Latakia in this has aged to absolute perfection. The flavor and aroma remind me of Bengal Slices, which was the first English Blend I ever smoked, and remains the standard by which all other's are judged.
I understand why Greg Pease calls this his "Grail Tobacco". The orientals offer a soft spice with notes of cinnamon and ginger. The Syrian Latakia is just phenomenal in this blend. It is rich and thick on the tongue, without ever overwhelming the palate. I smoked two bowl of this in a row with two different old Dunhill blasts. Both times I ended up sucking in ash at the end because it kept getting better and better as it burned. The aftertaste that remains is like a smoky single malt Scotch and Chai Spiced tea.
It is nothing short of phenomenal.

Jul 15, 2011
Damn, I have never heard of this, and judging from the opening of your post, Im guessing they dont make it anymore, but your description makes me want to try it.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I wouldn't have believed there was any left anywhere. I had a friend who smoked it in the late 80's, even though the shop had been closed for years. Apparently those who liked it hoarded like there was no tomorrow. Well, I guess there wasn't for that stuff.

I smoked it a couple of times, but couldn't begin to talk about it. It didn't leave any impression at all.

barling

Lurker
Jan 9, 2012
Northern California
@tokerpipes I got a tin of this and two tins of Lane Crown Achievement for $80. A sweet deal if you ask me. If he had more of the Orient Express I would gladly pay $50 a tin for it (which is what he had it priced at).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wow, a tin of this just sold for $227.50! Anyone ever tried this? GL Pease supposedly raves about it, but still, that's a pricey tin of smoke.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I've had it. One of the best oriental blends I have ever had.
I've had a range of Garfinkel, I have been smoking ridgeway lately, fantastic stuff, and I have about 10 4oz tins put away.

Status
Not open for further replies.