PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
So I was just browsing photos online and quite by accident found this. Watching the movies, I've never noticed it before. But if you've ever wondered where Gandalf keeps his pipe, now you know. It rests in his staff. It's hard to see depending on the angle of his staff as it blends in quite well, but if you look closely you'll see it. After first seeing it, I did a google search... "Gandalf's Staff With Pipe," and found a few more photos. I think it's a neat little detail they did in the movies. Whoever was in charge of the costumes department was a genius :)
gandalf.jpg
[/url][/img]
images.jpg
[/url][/img]
images6.jpg
[/url][/img]

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Anthony much thanks for sharing this. The initial releases of the LOTR Extended Editions on DVD came with an amazing amount of "Extra Features" which showcased hours upon hours of behind the scenes documentation of just how dedicated the crews were to getting it done right. Ultimately these box sets had something like 6 discs worth of documentary and showcase of just how ornate the projects got.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
That is awesome!!! I agree with freakie, combination pipe holder/walking sticks are a new must!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nifty detail. I wonder who created that idea? The costume or set designer, or some other

person on the set, or maybe the actor himself. It's an impressive touch.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That is pretty cool. But it seems his staff lost the pipe holder when he became "Gandalf the White".
UC1386Wlg.jpg

A Kaywoodie white briar pipe might fit in there somewhere...

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I have the box set and I'm sure once when he stood up after talking in the movie he put his pipe into his staff. Maybe the White staff has a secret compartment for pipe and accessories... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.