PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I hope some folks are enjoying this series as much as I do posting it. The tape is off the bowl and ready for final sanding before the staining process begins. The entire process starting from discussing design, colors, features and such is a fascinating exercise for me. I tend to give Dan a lot of feedom with these things because I want his "signature" on the pipe. He insists on drawing his cutomers deep into what is going on a every step. Frankly, it's an honor to have one of his pipes in my bag. I can't wait to get this in my hands.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
You can see the flame grain before the stain has been applied. That is going to be a stunner John, congrats.
I AM enjoying watching this block of briar becoming a gorgeous pipe. My hat's off to Dan.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This all began by sitting in his kitchen holding a piece of briar and trying to imagineer (a Disney term) what it would become. The man's passion is contagious. Speaking to him about pipe making is like watching a free ion bounce around the room. Hard to contain but beautiful to let loose.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
that is a fine pipe already.
and, yes, I have enjoyed (quietly) this series.

When Dan was working on mine, I'd get a phone call occasionally about the progress or a question, and it was always like talking to an old friend that I've known for years, very likable. And, that's important. It's hard to buy something from someone who is hard to work with or that you just can't connect with. And, it makes the whole process much more enjoyable. I can't sing his praises enough, and my pipe is absolutely one of my favorites. Not only does it smoke very well, but it just has good juju to it altogether.
I've enjoyed the posts, and I'll have to admit that I I have not just a little bit of envy over this pipe.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Thanks Gents, I'm at work on this pipe right now, hopful to get some drastically different pics to John in a few hours.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
I am also enjoying watching your beautiful pipe take shape and in a small way sharing your anticipation.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
That is an awesome pipe! Thanks for posting the in progress pics. It's been interesting to see it take shape. I cannot wait to see the finished pipe. If it smokes 1/10 th as good as it looks you will have a great pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.