Gabrieli Bulldog-Hand Shaping The Stem (Picture Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I guess this is where the rubber really meets the road. Dan spent Wednesday evening hand carving the stem. The last photo shows the tools he uses for this delicate procedure.

I can't wait to see the whole pipe as a composition, without the electrical tape protecting the chamber. And, I would have never thought to use knives to carve the stems. I've just been grinding them to shape. It's so cool to see someone else's studio, with all of the toys and playthings in the background.

I bet your giddy with anticipation to load that bully up :puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You're right, cosmic, I'm excited about this one. I guess since it's a bulldog and I consider that shape to be classically British that I'll load it with an English blend; but which one?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Dan is a master of many things, but his sense of anticipation is unrivaled. I just keep hearing his soundtrack in my head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJ_Mz8ftqI

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
And, I would have never thought to use knives to carve the stems. I've just been grinding them to shape.
I may have to try that myself. I use carving knives sometimes on the stummel,especially in the area where the shank meets the bowl.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
That shaving technique I borrowed from a Nordic pipe maker many years ago, I liked the control and it's great at removing heavy file marks as opposed to sanding your ass off. You may have heard of him Love Geiger.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.