PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Somehow, at some point, I got it in my thick head that Pease only had heavy Latakia blends. So, I had some Westminster I got and jarred up, but I'm really a Virginia guy, so I've widely ignored the brand.
The other day I started browsing Pease blends and.......holy Virginias! How did I miss all that? I couldn't count the blends I wanted to have. I just cracked a tin of Jackknife Plug and it smells unreal! Can't wait to smoke it.
I'm an idiot.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
What roth sates is true - aged pease=bliss. However, I smoke 90% pease, and have had MANY "fresh" tins (1-5 months), and they still are great smokes. I do lean towards Latakia, which I think holds it's own younger than Virginias, but even still, when JKP came out I smoked 3 or 4 tins that first year and loved them all.
:puffy:

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
GL Pease makes many of my favorite blends: Haddo's Delight, Cairo, Fillmore, Cumberland, Telegraph Hill, Barbary Coast. All fantastic. Haven't tried any of his straight VAs but they're on my list.
I have some Navigator but agree with Roth that this one at least needs some time to sit and think about itself. Has gold medal potential but it's rough fresh.
YMMV.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
@Rothnh- I had heard/read that many of the Pease blends need a little time to get happy. Plan to jar 'em all up and let them sit awhile, though that JKP smells so dang good that I'm going to have to try it at least once pretty soon. Smells so good I'm ashamed that I only got 2 oz.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Chelsea Morning is a really nice light English. I hardly ever drink iced coffee but when I do it pairs very well with C. Morning. Haddo's Delight is also a very good tobacco that I'd like to have a few more tins of. Bready, Plumish, Stewed peppers.
Westminster & Maltese Falcon sound tasty but I'm wondering if their a little to heavy for me.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
I'm loving my Cairo right now. It was opened in about march, and i've been going through slowly (i know i'm a slow smoker) and it is much finer now. Still delicious but mellower. Burns much nicer and still smells amazing. I'm looking forward to trying many more GLP blends...

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Haddo's Delight is one of those blends that demands aging. It is like two different blends fresh and with a years age on it.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
I smoke 90% pease, and have had MANY "fresh" tins (1-5 months), and they still are great smokes.
Me, too! It's hard for me to build up any GLP stock because those tins just keep popping open...
I think I'll dedicate an entire TAD order to JackKnife. I wish it came in quantities larger than two ounces, though.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If you enjoy Virginia that are lighter in style, Montgomery is a must try. Union Sq. is a very nice, slightly savory Virginia flake of which I have many tins aging. Stratford is my favorite VaPer as well. Cairo? VERY good, slightly aromatic I believe and good! I am happy to do the aging from this fine blender. Of course, I age everything that comes into my home with the exception of a "to try" tin.
Mike S.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
Hey, Roth - excellent. I missed that in my search. Thanks for pointing it out.
Haven't had the ready-rubbed yet, but I've been enjoying the plug.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I am currently working my way through a tin of the Triple Play. This stuff is excellent. I have yet to come across a blend of his that I did not like. His website also makes for interesting reading.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've only had Westminster and Fillmore, but the former is one of my top three and the latter introduced me to the world of Va/Pers. I'm also looking forward to popping a tin of Sextant. I think I could stick to GLP, Dunhill and the occassional C&D and be plenty more than content!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Anybody smoke the Sextant? I've had a tin in the cellar since the 2012 Chicago show. I really like G&H Rum flake and was wondering if it was similar or how it compared? Also just purchased some Navigator. Any thoughts?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Tarak, I bought a tin of the Jackknife plug probably 8 months ago and after I smoked it a few times, I decided to put it away for a while. It will get much better with age.
I bought a bunch( 35 tins) of Navigator and love the stuff. Most people think it needs age, which it definitely does, but I also enjoy it fresh when I am in the mood for a sweet, strong dose of Kentucky. Yes it can be a tad rough but if you smoke it slowly, it is pretty darn good even fresh. I only smoke it in a group 4 sized pipe.
If you can handle red virginia's and a high does of perique, then Haddo's Delight is a must try. I used to love the stuff but had to give it up due to the reds in it. It is a balls to the walls perique bomb that is a must for any perique lover.
Another great vaper you might want to try if you can handle the reds is Two Friends Redwood. It is a collaboration of Pease and Tarler and it is very tasty. I would be willing to bet you can score some aged Redwood as not many people know about it or talk about it.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Greg is one of the great blenders of this era. He really works hard on getting his blends right. He even lets friends actually beta test his new blends to see what they think.
Aged Haddo's is one of my favorites.
The blends he has done for the NASPC are very special.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Greg is a member of the fine Golden Gate Pipe Club - two great reasons to sit in on their monthly meetings. Re Sextant - this may share the rumminess with GH Rum Flake, but Sextant is definitely a Latakia, and a fine one at that.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.