PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I'm out of FVF, what a terrible way to be. Soon I'll be making a trip to Vegas for my new job (yeah, I know, someone's gotta do it) so that will be my chance to stock up.
I checked a few days ago and some places were / are out of it. In the event that happens while I'm there and place an order, I thought I'd look at alternatives.
First, I thought of BBF, a product many say is closest to FVF. But it's so similar that when FVF is out, often BBF gets hoarded and it also out of stock at the same time.
Some people consider a blend like Stonehaven to be a close alternative. Ummmmm, not to me (and I know taste is subjective.)
Not sure why, but when I think of Virginia pipe tobacco, I think of McClellands. Probably because they make so many good, REALLY good Virginias. You have 2010, 2035, # 27, Blackwoods Flake, Dark Star and their Christmas Cheer Series (may have missed a few). Of these listed, I have not had #27 nor several of the annual versions of the CC series, but of those I've had, any and all can have a place in my top 10 blends, all are high quality. But to my tastes (there's that subjective word again) they are not like FVF or BBF at all. Because of the manufacturing methods (and to a point, the ketchupy / vinagry scent / taste) it's like comparing a different leaf. All though a bowl of any McC Virginia I get a spiciness that I never get from FVF, so maybe it's just me, but again, while I enjoy any of their blends, they're not plain sweet FVF.
From other manufacturers you have Dunhill Flake, MacBaren Virginia Flake (poor ratings on this one), and some more that are not common tobaccos. In my eyes, FVF is so popular that any blend that was a close match would automatically be shooting up the review charts, both in score and # of reviews.
So to prevent this state of being FVFless, I'm just going to have to do what so many others of the weed do, and that is stock up, STOCK UP and hoard some more.
Peace, and happy smoking.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
The two closest pipe tobaccos I've tried that rival FVF are GLP Union Square and SG Scottish Autumn. Both are hearty virginia flakes, I prefer the Union Square but have only just opened the Scottish Autumn with only 1 bowl smoked. The BBF I found sorely lacking in flavor, especially considering my tin had about 7 years of age on it.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
GLP Union Square and SG Scottish Autumn
Cheers Sam. Union Square for some reason I thought it was an Aro, and the SG I never heard of. Descriptions on both on TR seem mild but if you saw the flavour is close to FVF while finding BBF bland I'll take your word for it and order a tin of each next month.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Just tried Capstan (after watching The Fellowship of the Ring of course).
Despite generally not liking VA flakes -- they're like the corn flakes of tobacco blends -- I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.
A low-fuss, simple smoke.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Smoking FVF and Union Square back to back has FVF a bit sweeter with darker fruit notes. Both have a similar amount of body, depth of flavor and punch. If you want raisin and molasses your choice is made for you. US trades those flavors for tropical fruit, spice and a bit of dry orange peel. For either you've gotta work boy. If you puff lazily with US you'll get burnt onion skin, paper and hay. It does really well in wide and narrow bowls, a first for me.
I love BBF but have run in to a lot of batch inconsistency. Sometimes I got in a lot that totally misses the highness sparkle of african va and it just plods along. BBF and US aren't very similar imo.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Astleys 109 or 44
+1 to the #44 especially. Another to try is Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark flake.
Capstan, Klondike, etc. are more "golden / bright" to me ... like OGS or Dunhill Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.