PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Okay, I opened the heavy metal coated Mylar and pulled the box out. It smelled fabulous. The box with plastic wrap was inserted into the Mylar and the box was soggy when I pulled it out. There were little white flecks everywhere on the exterior of the box. The baccy looked great with lots of plume.
After seeing how this was stored, up close and personal....I'm sticky with mason jars. btw, the "fresh" FVF was put in jars in August and it had already sealed the jar.

The samples all go out tomorrow - 9-8-16

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
This is a great comparison to see. Thank you for the pictures and the samples. I will report back ASAP!

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Wow, amazing pictures. I can't wait to taste the difference.
Thanks again for sharing this experience with us, Ash :wink:

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Hang on a minute, sorry to go off on a tangent, but I once threw out 2oz of Germains Rich Dark Flake because it had white markings with 'lines' similar to the flake on the left. I was told it was mold :(

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Styler, The bloom on these flakes is definitely not mold. Sorry you tossed 2oz.
Here's a sample of what you can post. This is a Kaywoodie Colt Meer with the Aged FVF almost ready to go. I loaded the pipe and started to smoke it.....damn, this is good. See how easy a review a can be.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
One more thing. Everyone is getting about 25 grams of combined flakes, so there's plenty to figure out if you dig it. Fun fact: The samples were sent to all points between the Netherlands and Hawaii.

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
Ash:
Was it you that stated aged tobacco loses its flavor more quickly? If you don't mind, I'd like to hear more on what you've experienced as far as the timeframe you have before it goes flat, how you cellar to maximize flavor retention, etc. Thanks!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Gsmunoz, the deterioration starts as soon as oxygen hits it. As for how fast....it depends on how long it's aged and the style of baccy and cut.
I had some Capstan from the 1920's and it degraded pretty fast..... freakishly fast, but I've had 15 yr old Escudo that held its own for about a week and a half. Again there are too many variables.
But it is real.
As for what I do to manage it....I only jar my flakes 4 oz jars. This FVF was the entire pound. So I either had to turn myself into a chimney, give out samples or try to roll the dice and vacuum seal it.
My experience with aged baccy, and i have quite a bit, said to get a tasting together.

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
Ashdigger:
This is great info and makes perfect sense. Maybe I overloaded it, but I don't recall reading about this in the research that I've done to the his point. I will be the first to admit I am still very much a neophyte, but this really opened my eyes to the downside of aged tobacco.
Thanks for the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.