PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My young neighbor living nest to my farm has experienced a loss , his father in law died, he has 2 girls, 12 and 9, his father is dead so the girls haven't any Grandfather. I'm thinking about adopting those girls as my Grandaughters, is this a good plan, hate to see those girls, which by the way are nice country kids go without. Would that be a good Christmas Gift? Thanks in advance.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I think it it an outstanding and very generous gesture, Brad. Kids need grandparents to share secrets and giggle with.

Plus, they'll help keep you young.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Hi Brad
A couple of questions which might have some bearing:
You don't mention how long ago the loss was. If it was not that long ago then it may be a little early for them as they will still be working through their grief and loss. If a little time has passed, then it may be a little different.
You also don't mention whether you have discussed this with the father. How he sees it might depend on a lot of factors, including the passage of time, his own relationship with his father-in-law, etc.
A third question might be how your own family see this?
I think your gesture is a kind one, and one that comes from a big heart. I do counsel you to go slow though and make sure each step is understood and welcomed in the good spirit you offer it.
Blessings to you all in this

Mike

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Thank you Did for the sage advice, their Fathet was estranged from his Fathet, then he died and thru the years he has come to me for advice and I guess company, you are right up may be too soon, but time does not heal all wounds so I may strike when I think it's right. I just feel an emptiness for the girls as their Grandfather was not a careing man and I have given the girls attention during the past years. I adored my Grandfather, hate to see them go without .

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I don't know the legal situation where you are: is adoption as a grandparent a legal or quasi-legal thing? Or are you speaking about just taking on the role of a grandfather?
Certainly, the second of those would be easier.
Mike

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
tbradsim1:
The greatest Christmas gift is love, and it sounds like that is what you are showing to your neighbor and his daughters. As for your adoption idea, what if the daughters were to adopt (informally of course) you as their grandfather? You might meet with your neighbor and discuss this idea, let him present it to them, and then let the chips fall where they may. Either way, I believe that you have already won.
God bless you, Sir!

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Well, in that case, and provided each step is sensitive, I think it's a beautiful idea. I really do hope both you and they will be blessed by this. It shows that sometimes good things can be born out of bad events.
Mike

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Brad, I think that this is a wonderful idea that is full of caring, compassion and love and these young girls will be blessed to have to as their paw paw.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Bradley that's a wonderful idea. I would guess though, knowing your spirit and generosity, that if you show those girls some love and attention, THEY will adopt YOU as their Paw-Paw.............. :D

GOOD neighbors are like family anyways, in my book.......... the age of the people involved determines what role they play....... :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A young and a very young teen. They would be loved but they make the lover pay, as if it were a privilege. Not saying it can't be done.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad lived to be 89-plus-months, and in his last 25 years or more started adopting various neighborhood kids as his surrogate grandkids. When he died, licensed to drive without glasses I like to recall, his mourners filled the rather large church sanctuary, and side chapels, many and various cohorts of his colleagues, friends, swimming buddies, etc. etc. And a number of his grandkids, who had consulted him through childhood and teenage, through courtships, marriages, divorces, career turmoil, births, family deaths, gardening and cooking dilemmas, and other aspects of life. Though his career was not teaching, he was a natural-born professor, loved to answer questions and give thoughtful and sometimes uncannily insightful advice. Brad, you are a natural-born dad and grandpa, and these girls would be fortunate and greatly helped by having you as a grandpa. Eventually, I would give them each a framed copy of that photo of you decked out in your suit (they will know that was special dress for an occasion), so they can always have it to jog their memories. Go for it, absolutely. No question. It's as much as done.

Status
Not open for further replies.