PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
Thanks for the advice on cleaning vulcanite.The geen pads work well and surprising enough so does toothplace.My stems are now in great shape.Thanks folks. Tom

connolse

Lurker
Feb 20, 2010
Ya know, years ago I spent a good amount of money on various 'stem cleaning' doohickeys; toothpaste works wonders. . .hmmmm

Reactions: jpmcwjr

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
As I stupidly left one of my Petersons on the dash, in full glare of the sun for over a week, I will try the toothpaste thing. The stem looks terrible after all that sun exposure.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
I buy a lot of estate pipes.Most of them I get,the stems are oxidized(green,brown,yellow).The ones that are really bad I give them a bath in Oxyclean(I have also used bleach.If this step is needed,I use a Qtip and a little vaseline,and dab the Logo mark,if there is one,one the stem.This keeps the oxidizing agents from taking away its luster.The teeth mark removal,I start with 320 grit sandpaper,then 400,onto 600.I find it best to wet sand all three grades.I then move on to my buffer.I use brown tripoli to start with.It is more abbrasive polish,it will remove away the scratches from the sandpaper.Be careful,stay away from the tenons,and the ends of the stems(could end up with loose fit)After the tripoli,I use white diamond tripoli,It brings the shine through,like a mirror!After the polishing,I use pure carnuba wax,to put the final shine to the stem.All the polishes should be done with a different wheel,as not to mix the abbrasives.The best speed to run the buffer at is 1725-1750 rpms.Any more just melts the wax.I use the carnuba on bowls too,it puts a mirror shine to them as well.I hope this was helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.