PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I took a vacation day on Friday to sell tampers at the Pre-Show. I was concerned that the vacation would be cancelled by work, but prevailed. My plan was to only spend on Saturday what I made on Friday. My change is in the picture below. Most of the tables were used. The man next to me was selling pipes in the $1,800+ range. He sold five at once. The couple behind me were putting out their pipes with wearing white gloves, and sold out. I had fun. The buffet on Friday was very good. The table I sat at had several experts argueing over the thermodynamics and chemical process of burning tobacco in a two stage pipe, similar to a calabash. I just sat back and listened.

Saturday, I bought two very estate pipes for $15 and a collection of C&D tobacco. I also collected many samples of tobacco. About half aromatic and half Virginia or Vapors. I enjoyed spending some father/son time with my son as we wandered the show admiring the craftmanship of the pipes. It was fun gathering around the table in the tent to meet people from the forum. Yes, Hauntedmist is as funny in person as he is in posts. The schedule allows for lots of time in the smoking tent. I had several long conversations with others. The tent is kinda hazy as the weekend proceeeds. You would not believe the number of college students were at the show.
I was exhausted when I got home yesterday. I just slept 11 hours.
I don't like latakia. If anyone wants my sample packet from the John Cotton Throwdown, pm me. I only ask that you send me an equivalent amount of your favorite VAPER.
Winton
HPIM0557.jpg

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
Sounds like a great show. Geez cannot remember the last time I slept 11 hours in a row. :worship:

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Great meeting you Winton! It's been a great show, and awesome to meet so many pipemagers. The only downside is Bubba wasn't here and many of the pros sold the vast majority of their pipes before the show even started! I got to meet Wolfgang Becker who is as friendly as he is skilled. Ken from Lamb Pipes was at the table next to mine and on top of being a super friendly guy, he has crazy skills for building pipe making tools to drool over even if you arent a pipemaker. Overall a great show!

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Hi Winton!
While I was only able to go for the day Saturday I will definitely go for a few days next year!!
As my first pipe show ever I can safely say that I was overwhelmed!! Pipes and tobacco EVERYWHERE!!!! I spent 3 hours just roaming the show floor before I realized that I was missing all the fun in the smoking tent... I ended up picking up a Brigham Klondike Canadian and LOTS of tobacco.... In that respect I am glad I was only there for the day. My bank account would have been drained if I stayed longer!
At 2PM the PM.com members present at the show got together in the smoking tent and it was really cool to meet the guys and put names and faces to screen names!! Members present were Kevin of course, Lonestar, Winton and his son Josh, BigVan, undecagon and hauntedmyst. We had a great time getting to know one another and enjoying a few bowls together. We were there for about 3 hours... Good time!! I only wish I could have stayed the night to continue the fun but I guess I will have to wait until next year...
Experiencing this show at least once is a must for all pipe smokers and multiple trips are highly recommended!! I know that it will not be my last. I am already carving out time for next years show...... :lol:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
For those who don't know, there were a bunch of college students wandering around the show. They were wearing matching shirts. Very cool to see younger people getting interested in pipes.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I bought one of Winton's tampers, and a 1930s era Comoy Grand Slam Patent.
We are shooting for articles at end of week, hopefully Friday, but I'll try to get a few pics up today or tomorrow. I just finished unpacking now.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Thanks to those who bought the tampers. I had fun making them and they provided for the loot in the first picture. Truely the best part was getting together with friends from the forum and also making new friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.