PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I went to Arizona State where I studied Design, Photography, and finally settled on metal smithing. I met my wife there sophomore year and after graduation we moved to San Diego and lived a quarter mile from the beach in Solana Beach. We got married on Coronado Island April 2, 2011 (I have to keep the date somewhere I'll remember haha)
After a few months my wife decided she needed to be back in school. She applied to the Master of Fine Arts in Poetry at St. Mary's College of California and got into the 8 person program! So I transferred my job taking a demotion and then worked my way back up to a higher position over the next two years in the San Francisco Bay Area.
In December of 2012 my Dad and Great Grandma passed away within two days of each other and then two months later we found out my wife was pregnant with our first child. We decided we needed a bigger place so we moved to a town close by. Our Daughter, Aribella Edlyn Jameson was born November 15, 2012 :)
Anyways for a few months we have been thinking about moving back to Arizona after my wife graduates this month. My wife's parents live there, as well as her grandparents and my Aunt and Uncle and Cousins my age. Also Arizona is significantly cheaper than California. We just found a place in Anthem (Phoenix area), and we will already be saving about $500/ month for a brand new larger place with a garage (can you say man cave ;) ) We move at the end of the month.
It has been a crazy journey but we really wouldn't have it any other way!
This was meant to be a simple question, but all that came out sorry for the long read! So my question is what forum buddies will be in that area? Are there any clubs? I've only been to one B&M Highlands on Thomas road in South Scottsdale but I know there is supposed to be a good one in Old Town Scottsdale, although I'm not sure of the name. Any other ones I should check out in the Phoenix area or otherwise? Also I'm a big fan of Sedona, Flagstaff, Payson, and Prescott so if you live out there let me know too!

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Wow tjameson..... Good luck!!
There is one in Phoenix called Ye Olde Pipe and Tobacco Shop. They are affiliated with Stag Tobacconists which has a couple of locations. The location in Old Town is a great shop with a nice lounge. I have also been to Stag's located in Scottsdale. That is a newer shop in an upscale retail center. There is also a great Mexican restaurant across the way.

I usually visit them both when I am in town on business, but since I am located on the east coast it's not as often as I would like!!!!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Hey if you're ever in the area let me know and we can meet up for a bowl and some coffee!

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I will be in Phx the end of this week on business for a few days. I'm looking forward to hitting some of the shops while I'm there. leaving an open spot in my suitcase for any goodies I may happen to purchase.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Cool Rick and you hit the nail on the head with Ye Old Pipe shop that's the one I was thinking of :)

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I'm still on ye'ole's mailing list. Good shop. They did have a pipe

Club and then they didn't and then they did again....sorta.I haven't been

In a couple or years,but would definatly stop by if I was able.

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
There is a pipe club called Smoking Woodies:
http://www.smokingwoodies.com/
Also, looks like Ford and Haig Tobacconist in Scottsdale might be worth checking out,

http://fordandhaig.com/
Welcome back to AZ.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Thanks Michalski! That's exactly what I was looking for both the shop and the club. I should be able to make the July meeting!

piperator

Lurker
Mar 13, 2014
There are two shops I go to. Ye Olde Pipe&Tobacco Shoppe in PHX (24th and Campbell) and Big Sticks Fine Cigars (Mesa Riverview Mall). Ye Olde Pipe&Tobacco Shoppe carries a wide variety of cigars and pipes, and is probably the best stocked tobacconist in the valley. However, whenever I have a question or need a recommendation, I talk to Paul, the owner of Big Sticks Fine Cigars. He is IMHO the most knowledgeable guy about pipes and cigars and has a hell of a pipe collection. Plus, he won't sell you shit or screw you over. Whenever he recommended a pipe, tobacco, or cigar, he was spot on.
BTW, I have checked those two shops in Downtown Scottsdale -- neither was worth my money. The staff don't know much about pipes or tobacco, and aren't very friendly either. This is my two cents on the pipe shops in the PHX Metro.

rrollar

Lurker
Sep 14, 2013
Ye Olde Pipe& Tobacco is a great place, was just there this week and picked up a real nice $30 pot/prince shaped basket pipe. Being broke, these basket and estate pipes they are fantastic! Wish Mesa had a shop like this one though. Big Sticks and Tinderbox are great and all, but love the atmosphere of the 24th st location.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
@rrollar some of local guys are trying to put something together in the east valley. Check out the Arizona Pipers thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.