Frog Morton's Cellar... Anyone else smell liquid smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

matman88

Lurker
Mar 22, 2015
I am very new to pipe tobacco smoking. I started with a mini corncob pipe and some captain black and loved it. So I started doing research and quickly found a MM country gentleman online and ordered some FMCellar.

I work in a kitchen and have for the past few years and I am very familiar with the smell of liquid smoke and when I opened the can, I was overwhelmed with the scent. Needless to say I d

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I personally do not smell the liquid smoke. Latakia is naturally smoky, I have used liquid smoke in the past I just don't smell it. The Latakia mixed with the whiskey stave could definitely create that smell. Just me though. Doesn't matter to me though, it freaking good stuff.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
There is definitely a smokey smell from the Latakia. However, the Latakia is not that strong in this blend, which is probably why I like it so much. It doesn't taste like burnt tires like the stronger English blends that I've tried. This one is sweeter, more floral. It's definitely a good place to start. My tin has been open for about 6 months so I'm guessing the Latakia has lost its kick. I like it even more now. I think there is a casing that adds sweetness and stave cube helps.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I get more of the fruity whiskey smell. The latakia is very much in the background to me as well as in the smoke.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I recall being very put off by McClellands signature tin note back when I started pipe smoking, so much so that I avoided everything they put out including the Frog Morton series. I'm glad I got over that nonsense somewhat quickly because I now equate it to one thing, quality. Whether it's their Virginias or whatever imparts that tin note it certainly doesn't carry over into the smoking quality of any blend I've tried by them. It's usually a good idea to pop any tinned tobacco and get some air on it to allow it to "breathe" so to speak and I only mean to break the vacuum and open and re-close the tin. This allows the tobacco to adjust to the ambient atmosphere and IMHO, makes for a better smoking experience as opposed to just popping and loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.