PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
Relatively new to pipe. I've tried quite a few tins, but the original Frog Morton has become a quick favorite. Any similar blends people have found?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Hello, yes that FM original is a quick favourite for lots of people, including me. I did not end up looking for something like it because I realised i did not want to replace it, although the bulk suggestions are tempting.
isaac

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
Thanks for the suggestions. I will be trying BHT soon. I'm not looking for a replacement, but smokes that are similar that would provide avenues into other flavor profiles.
I'm not one to smoke a tobacco once and give up on it. I open a tin, quickly contain at least an oz if not more and seal it for the cellar (4 oz. mason jars). I smoke the rest. My plan is to keep a sample of smokes I've tried for one year and see if that changes the profile to my tastes. I know that cracking the factory seal will change it somewhat, but not enough for me to care. It's exposure to air is minimal.
Now that I have a few that I enjoy, I'm going to cellar the whole tin. Buy five, smoke one.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I tried Frog Morton after I'd already sampled a few other Latakia-forward blends. Having heard that it was a "light" or "crossover" English, I expected it to be less robust than some of the others I'd tried - but it wasn't as comparatively light as I expected.
You might enjoy Hearth & Home Daybreak - it's similar enough that it won't overwhelm you with the Latakia flavor (as with a couple of others I could mention). I've been meaning to compare Daybreak to Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, which it's supposed to be reminiscent of... so that's one avenue to explore.

Jul 15, 2011
Boswells Northwoods would probably fit the bill quite nicely, and I hear that you can buy it in a tin now.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
Peter Stokkebye's English Luxury is a sweet English that you may enjoy. Proper English (also from PS) is a nice smooth and smokey blend.
Three Oaks Syrian might be worth a try as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.