PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesaplenty

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
I bought this tobacco about 8 months ago. It was my introduction into the world of English types. I never had any experience with Perique either..hoo boy let me tell ya. I opened that can and never smelled something so "CAMPFIREY" in my life! That bad boy needed some time to mellow out. I had smoked a few bowls and found it to be a little strong, so I let it sit for a while. I picked some back up and smoked. The top of the bowl was very light. As I got towards the middle it deepended into an earthy note. Very calming. I choose to smoke this before I rest for the night. It just speaks "peaceful" like the calming waters of the bayou.

pipesaplenty

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
I think i'm going to try the basement blend next. I find myself liking english types more...seem more dimensional than aromatics IMO. Seems thought that they taste similiar though. The froggy cellar though looks like it adds some whiskey flavors which i think would be very good for a froggy blend.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Cellar is awesome, and like Roth said, all the Frogs are pretty darn good, but On The Bayou is by far my favorite. I smoke some just about every day.

pipesaplenty

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
I'll be picking some "cellar" up this weekend then! Any other english types you'd gents suggest? I've only dealt with some froggy, peterson, black shag and a handful of aromatics.

pipesaplenty

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
Thanks for the recommendations! I definitely give OTB a thumbs up. Took a little while to get used to that perique and latakia but I find myself to like it! Definitely not for everyone, but that goes for any tobacco really

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Pipes:
Be sure and try some Dunhill Nightcap and I'm a huge fan of Hearth & Home's Larry's Blend and Ten to Midnight. I also tried some Magnum Opus last week and just about had a religious experience. (You might want to hold off on that blend for awhile while your palate gets accustomed to the Lat.)
Fnord

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Based on the reviews I read about FM on the Bayou, I picked up a small tin yesterday and had the pleasure of enjoying my first bowl this evening after work.
Opening the tin last night and breathing in deeply, my first impression was that of a nicely age T-bone, grilled over mesquite. When I re-opened the tin tonight, the pepper notes hit me before once again thinking of an open hearth mesquite grill. So, I grabbed my Savinelli and a short pour of Tennessee Honey, then headed out to porch.
Easy to light and no bite while chasing it a bit in the beginning, it was smooth start to finish. For all the strong character in the tin, this is not an aromatic and it not all that strong in flavor. It is light, subtle, a little sweet, cool and very smooth. I am looking forward to more bowls and will update a post here, if there something new discovered.
RD

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Already I have put match to, and smoked with pleasure, two 100g tins of Frog Morton on the Town.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
FMOTB was my first intro to Perique. At first I couldn't distinguish the Perique from the Latakia, but after letting the tin sit for a month and concentrating on the flavors, it finally came to my palate. Now it has become my favorite Frog, and has opened my eyes to other Perique blends.
Now I'm going out to smoke me some, and call it a night.

bludgeoningdeath

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2013
Timberville Virginia
Very nice my friend! I've been enjoying Frog Morton original so much I went to Charlottesvile Smoke Shop and purchased "Across The Pond" today. Along with Penzance, Rattrays Hal O The Wind, and C And D Afterhours. :)

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Bayou is my favorite Frog it was my first introduction to Perique (not you Perique the other Perique), I still have a tin on hand and one in the cellar.

~Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.