PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
So, I'm about halfway through my first tin of many.

I'm not gonna lie when I opened the tin the tin the first time I had been smoking some heavy lat bombs for a week or so. It smelled like dirt, not loam, not grass, just dust and dirt. I thought to myself "Josh your a slave to the lady with the yellow fingers. You know without nicotine you turn into the biggest bastard ever. We'll smoke a bowl even if it's mildly palatable you can jar it up and save it for a day when your broke, out of everything else with nicotine in it, and really hard up." Sounds great right?

I packed it up into a fresh cob, and it felt a little dryer than I was used too, not like dried out, just dry kinda bland. I stared at it moodily for a minute or two, picked up my zippo and gave it a char light. Those of you who like to mention that the tin note isn't always a good indication of the tobacco can start fist pumping now. Under the flame the flavor and scent of the tobacco blossomed forth. I could really get the earthiness of the per. Suddenly that dirt gave forth life. A rich loamy flavor with, almost mossy notes. It really did remind me of my time in Mississippi. When me and the guys would go out hiking in the swamps. I sat back enjoyed the flavors, as each drag pulled me in a little deeper into the swamps I remembered from tech school. Back to happy days with my little band of wing-men, to crawdad boils and beers out at that little fricking shack of a restaurant. To the girls I knew back then, crazy swamp raised girls. Girls who's momma married a soldier, cause us soldiers were such good men. Back to bar fights, with my buddies to back me up. Back to that short period in time where I was in the best shape of my life,I was old enough to drink, and I still didn't have any real responsibilities, just had to show up to class.

In an MM legend it gives me about forty five minutes to an hour to enjoy those memories. I'm getting the packing and breathing right now so it doesn't need more than maybe one relight.

It does leave a bit of dottle but that seems to be more the pipes fault as everything leaves some dottle in that one. The stem is just a hair high, and I've been to busy to sit down and fix it.

It smokes like a dream out of my Boswell and leaves a not but fine dust to sit in my ashtray till I get around to making up some mud to fix a few high stems.

Frog Morton "On the Bayou"? Yeah it's earned a spot on my TAD list I'm gonna need to keep a nice stock of it.
special thanks to Eaglerico for sending it my way in the PM2012SS. It's amazing and with life being a little wonky around here, I certainly needed that trip down memory lane to clear my head

Jul 15, 2011
I have had something of a love hate relationship with Senor Frog. The original Frog Morton is one of my favorite all time tobaccos. I then tried "On the Town" and decided it wasn't my cup of tea. Never tried the Across the Pond or On the Bayou, but I have tins of each, and after sampling some of McClellands other offerings, I am looking forward to trying the Bayou version, and your review makes it sound wicked tasty. Thanks for sharing!

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I was torn between this blend and Balkan sasieni, only a few minutes ago did I decide on BS if I saw this post I might have changed my mind. Oh well I'm sure both are great and this is still on top of y list to try next time! Also great description of the brand! You should put it on Tobaccoreviews.com

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Wow Josh. You are very welcome. I was glad I could contribute to that moment for you.
P.S. You need to become a writer. You have a very special way with words. Your post pulls at the heart, almost like it was my memory.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Josh that was very well written... loved it.
As far as "On the Bayou"... yeah im a big fan. This comes second to the OG "Frog Morton" for me and slightly ahead of "Across The Pond"
Im currently out, but am looking forward to re-stocking up on all three once finances get back on track :puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
FMOB is my favorite Frog -- my first "real" tobacco purchase, too. I second the description of the flavor -- earthy, loamy indeed. Not as sweet, either, as some of the other Frogs.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I'll have to try it. I'm still stuck on regular Frogs. Maybe in my next order I'll grab up some different stuff.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Josh:
What an exceptionally fine tobacco review of one of my favorite smokes.
Thank you for this excellent share.
Fnord

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Like Pipenovelist stated I too have kind of a love/hate thing with Frog Morton. When I first tried Frog Morton I thought it was great. Since then I've also smoked Across the Pond and On the Town. The flavors are wonderful which is good, but as time went on I just find them to be to mellow for my tastes. I prefer blends with a bit more intensity.
However, I don't consider that to be a knock against the Frog Morton series as I believe they were intentionally meant to be that way.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
FMOTB is my favorite of the frogs. I haven't tried the Cellar Frog yet, though. McClelland rejected my suggestion for a new Frog Blend. "Frog Morton in the Hospital" it is aged with a rusty piece of metal in the tin.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Haha. I had an Army buddy from Detroit and he had a t-shirt with a smoking gun on it. The writing said, "Come back to Detroit. We missed you the first time!" :rofl:

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
I just picked up a tin from my local B&M. Can't wait to give it a whirl!

Status
Not open for further replies.