PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Teen Spirit jokes aside, how often do you experience the coveted Nirvana Smoke? For me, it's no more than once a month. A friend of mine says the same thing, but I'm wondering what a larger group of smokers would report. I think it would be helpful to also state the average number of bowls you smoke a day (about 6 for me). I'm not going to get into the particulars of what defines a Nirvana Smoke outside of it simply being an EXTRAordinary smoke. Thanks for the input!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Occasionally. Definitely less than once a month. I'm averaging 2 bowls a day or thereabout. BTW I don't see a Nirvana smoke as a "no relights pure white ash" thing. It's when the pipe gives more than usual of flavor and relaxation, or satisfaction really. When after a bowl I feel totally satisfied.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Some kids , you know, they get quite a rush from stamp collecting.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
RARE!
Maybe 2-3 times per year at best. In fact, it's so rare for me that I actually post the experience here sometimes because no one else in my circle of friends or family would understand what the heck I'm talking about.
Keep in mind, one can have lots of "great" smokes, and even hone your technique and pipes to consistently give "great" smokes, but that is different from the rare Nirvana experience.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
What npod said
Getting in some great smokes and eliminated all the things making for a bad experience
The nirvana smoke is still like the elusive great pumpkin

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Yah , a comfy chair , a crackling fire and a fine islay malt , more than halfway there
.. oh , and it’s snowing outside ..

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
At sunrise most days: LJ Peretti British in some nosewarmer field pipe I have in the car, as I walk out into the marsh, fields and forests.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I think as consumption increases chance of nirvana smoke decreases. Ussually the best most enjoyable smoked I have are when I have to wait longer than I'd like to. Like ussually I have a bowl before noon or so but occasionally if circumstances don't allow and I don't get out to smoke until late, the delayed gratification makes it that much better. It's counter intuitive I guess, especially in relation to actual nirvana which supposedly is experienced more with increased practice. Although I do like calling it a nirvana smoke as opposed to holy grail smoke because nirvana isn't attained and kept like an academic degree. It's my understanding that it's like glimpses, mere moments in a neer century long existance.

So to actually answer the question: couple times a year maybe.. and not when I'm trying to of course...

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
I've had 2 standout nirvana smokes in the 3-4 years that I've been smoking a pipe (average 1 bowl a day). Holy crap, they were good. One was Mississippi River in a Savinelli 673 and the other was Plum Pudding Special Reserve in a Savinelli 311. I've tried to replicate the experience many times since and have not been able to make it happen. I think nirvana probably hits you when you're not trying and least expecting it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have stretches where nothing tastes that great. Then I hit the zone where everything tastes pretty good to terrific most of the time. I think workman has it about right, that when you have a bowl that is extra good, and you combine that with an elevated frame of mind, that gives these optimal experiences. A really good blend in a great pipe just won't get you there if you aren't in that frame of mind. Frequency? Two or three times a year, with maybe six or eight other near experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.