PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own a Comoy, but I see them offered regularly, not that I need another pipe. I do wonder how people like these pipes now that the brand has moved back to France from England. When pipe makers move, there is always the question about sustained quality, design, and tradition. English Comoys are still prized as estate pipes from what I read. One Forums member put out at least one ardent post about how terrible the current Comoys are, but he didn't elaborate nor give any specifics or detail so it was impossible to tell if his anger was with the pipe and its quality, or with the disappointment of having them leave England. Has anyone bought and smoked the more recent French version of Comoy? Has anyone smoked both the English and the recent French versions to compare them? I will say that the Comoy offered at Iwan Ries and other places look quite attractive, both the smooth and blast finishes. I'm not currently in the market. However, it would be interesting to know any opinions. Please give some specifics, whether your evaluation is positive or not.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I wasn't aware that comoys had finished here in England, sacre bleu! Are you sure? I thought they were still being turned out by the cadogan company. I know there's a load of French made comoys being sold on eBay from the 'goody store' in the states, they've been on there well over a year or more. I think that must have been an inter pipe company deal or something, to allow use of the name. Although I could be completely wrong. As far as newer comoys go I've got more than a dozen, & I love them. I've got several older comoys dating from the 40s to the 60s. The older ones are certainly prettier & sleeker to look at, but on the whole don't smoke that much better than the newer ones. At least not enough to condem them. One of the newer ones a sunrise lovat is my favourite pipe! Draws like a dream & the taste from the briar is the sweetest I've ever had.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard of the move several places. Here's the Iwan Ries posting on it, which is headed Comoy of London, but then explains they've moved back to France:
http://www.iwanries.com/Comoy-Pipe-C1535.cfm
I believe they've been back there for at least a few years.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I just picked up a new Comoy from a fleabay seller, cost me a whopping $40 for a really nice smooth prince. Beautiful, well-made pipe. No fills that I can see, nice grain, vulcanite stem. Thinking of going back for another one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'monk, of course Comoy originated in France, and various components of the original firm have been there continuously, like Chapuis-Comoy. I just don't know how the ownership, leadership, and workshop floor supervision has been sustained or changed. They look like really handsome pipes. shutterbug, that's a great price for the prince; less than half of the going price at online retailers I'd say. St. Claude is a traditional pipe making culture, so it's is difficult to see how Comoy would go there to produce inferior products. It would make it uncomfortable to live in the community.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I have a blue riband shape 182. Smokes nice and is an all around great pipe. Some tight flame grain and no fills that I can find. Can't compare it to older ones but I enjoy mine. No issues with fit or finish come to mind. I own savinelli's, chachom's, neerup, jacono, Ser jacopo....so that's my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.