Freehands

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by anthonyrosenthal74
  • Latest reply from
  1. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok so I'm really growing fond of freehands, and have been in the process of trying to find a new pipe. Something about the shape of most freehands just... speaks to me, if that makes sense. Anyway I cannot afford to spend much on a pipe right now, and every so often I'll find one on one of many websites in a price range I might be able to afford. So I get all excited and giddy and stuff, like a kid in a candy store, and as I scroll down my heart is torn from my chest when I see that dreaded word... SOLD. At which point, I flip out, pull at my goatee, look for something to throw (this takes a moment sometimes because I don't want to break anything or make a mess)scream at the top of my lungs and raise a fist of defiance at the gods, and then want to cry like a baby.

Does anyone know a good site where they regularly carry freehands under 80 bucks?

Cut me... I bleed black.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try a MM Freehand Cob $31.39

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I replied to you post last night and you didn't reply. You probably missed it.

Anyway, here's a nice Joh's straight grain Freehand from Don for $88 http://www.jamesislandpiper.com/store.php?seller=JamesIslandPiper&Tsearch=freehand&pd=4890868

This Holtorp from Mike is $85: http://briarblues.com/jk97.htm

From Mike again, superb ring grain on this one for $75: http://briarblues.com/ph24.htm

From Premal, a Stone Age that actually looks like stone, $55: http://www.smokershaven.com/stone-age-estate-pipe-sandblast-freehand.aspx

A Lanza from Premal, $78: http://www.smokershaven.com/lanza-estate-pipe-bent-plateau-freehand.aspx

And this Stanwell too, $85: http://www.smokershaven.com/stanwell-estate-pipe-danish-bent-dublin.aspx

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Try a MM Freehand Cob $31.39

I've been wanting one of those for quite a bit.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony:

If you don't have an aversion to estate pipes try the following:

Get on the bay and search for Preben Holm. You probably won't find one of his burners in your price range but, who knows, you might get lucky. (Weird stuff happens all the time.) Now, failing that - and still on the bay - search for Ben Wade pipes made in Holland, okay? Holm bought the Ben Wade name and for several years produced great looking freehands employing some of the great Danes carving today.

You can usually pick up a "Ben Wade - Made in Holland" for 30 to 35 bucks plus shipping. In return you'll get a manly pipe with an attractive grain that should deliver the goods. I've got three PH Ben Wades and they're all swell smokers.

I'll gladly walk and talk you through the cleanup/sensitization and share my spit-shine on a budget process. Hopefully you'll end up with a pipe to cherish for years to come.

Cheers.

Fnord

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 fnord. You can find some great freehands on the 'Bay in your price range if you aren't adverse to an estate and all that goes with them (cleaning). In fact I just saw a lot of 5 Ben Wade freehands in good shape go for $125. One way to find some of the great ebay deals is to camp out on the "Newly Listed" page with the "Buy it now" box ticked.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. rcstan

rcstan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What they said about ebay

I like the looks of this one, and it's in your budget

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=117122

I'm planning a trip to SC and NC to visit family in the spring , and my travels will take me close to Low Country Pipe & Cigar AKA smokingpipes.com so my goal is to pick one of these up when down there. Otherwise that pipe would be sold right now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cynyr

cynyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I picked up a Mastersen freehand estate made in Israel just recently. Nice shape, but it smokes like a rabid incontinent raccoon spent the winter inside. It's undergoing a second salt treatment just now.

That said, the freehand shape is really beginning to grow on me, and I'm saving up for an Erik.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. deleon

deleon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ anthonyrosenthal74 tell you the truth just be patient, took a long time time to get my hands on a Nording Freehand, and when I got it the timing was perfect. I had my bday party at my local (soon to be closed down) shop anda few friends got me gift cards from the place. So I got lucky and paid $20 for my Nording freehand. Maybe you should try that. It's money well spent!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

just be patient

That's what it takes, along with some research and homework. What we get is usually directly proportional to what we put in and in so doing, we always appreciate it a lot more as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

Received my first freehand today in the mail.........$70.00 USD.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mlaug

mlaug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the dark side.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolfe
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

pipe[url=http://pipesandcigars.com/nofrpismunwi2.html][/url]
    I bought one similar to this and like it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry it took me so long to reply, everyone. Went to bed shortly after I posted this topic, as I had to open this morning at work. Thanks a million to all of you for the help and some great links as well. This is kinda lame, but I've never used Ebay before. Do you have to sign up, or can you just jump right in and buy something? I normally shop on Amazon when I'm doing my online shopping. Some of those pipes look really nice.

*EDIT* Ok I just searched "freehand" on Pipesandcigars.com... Oh God, big mistake lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I don;t use eBay much -- in fact, if I want something on eBay, I have my wife use her account (I just tell her what I want to pay).

As noted, I buy restored estates from reputable vendors, such as the sponsors here and others I've done business with and trust. Surprises are for birthdays. I hate surprises. Doing my homework on estates, I've yet to have to return a pipe. On the one pipe I had an issue with, the vendor credited me the entire amount and told me to keep the pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danindayton, klause, lucky695, decigar, patiobum, trailboss, pitchfork, mmjk, newbroom