PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just received my new vulcanized freehand stem for my legend from Aristocob. When I got it, there was a little bit of extra material I needed to sand off near the mouthpiece so it wasn't so sharp. Not a big deal for me. I ran pipe cleaners through it and cleaned it up after wards. However, the stem seems to taste funky. Do they need too be broken in like a pipe? Is it just how that material tastes? Any suggestions?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have not noticed that, but I don't have the most refined sense of smell. I would think a little smoke will fix the issue. I like the Freehand Stems. Missouri Meerschaum sells direct them as well.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Probably a bit of oxidation. I had a freehand MM come in with a brown/green stem come in that way before, and had to buff it. No more bad taste.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I have been trying to get one for my pipe, they look awesome.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Mine had a bit of sulphurous funk as well, but it was all smell and nothing I could taste. I used some stem polishing paste I got from P&C and the smell went away. I also had to remove a little extra material, and I'm assuming that might have made the sulphur smell more pronounced.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah, after a few more smokes, and some spit shine (literally) most of the taste has gone away.
On another note, The mouth piece is much wider than it would seem...Not what I was expecting. Not bad, just odd.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Yeah, i actually like the Danish bit better, much more air flow, the Vulcanized stem seems restrictive and yes kinda wide too.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes actually I've noticed the draw is pretty More restricted than I'm used to. Though I only notice it after the bowl is finished and I'm blowing out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.