Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
OK, so I've been smoking pipes for in excess of 40 years and am still unclear on what constitutes a freehand shape. I have several pipes which are recognizable as variations of classic shapes, all, of course, with plateau rims. If a plateau rimmed pipe has a shape recognizable as a classic shape is it still a freehand? How much variation from a classic shape does it need to be considered a freehand?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The pipe's shape in freehand carving is usually influenced by the grain of the wood.
If a plateau rimmed pipe has a shape recognizable as a classic shape is it still a freehand?
Nope, this is classified as a bent dublin.
002-099-5922.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
I consider a "Freehand" any pipe that has been shaped by hand without the use of a lathe. So really, at least in my opinion, a freehand pipe can take on many different shapes, although most tend to be somewhat dublin-esqe in shape, others may be something else entirely, such as a volcano or a blowfish. Then there are those like what Duane mentioned above, in which the carver shaped the pipe in accordance with the pattern of the grain, following the grain to achieve any number of interesting shapes. Preben Holm is one that comes to mind that made wonderful use of this practice, resulting in pipes that, once again, were very dublin-esqe in appearance, and others that are just down right wild depending on how the grain twisted and turned throughout the briar. A plateau top isn't necessary on a freehand, although many of them are made this way. Sometimes however the carver may decide to sand the plateau down to reveal the beautiful birdseye grain lurking underneath. However there can be a find line, I suppose in what a freehand pipe can be, even with my definition.... some carvers can "freehand" a near perfect billiard, and I would have a hard time myself calling one of those pipes a freehand. Basically, there's plenty of room for interpretation.... and I'm confusing myself now. :rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't want to rely on hero worship here, but Erik Nording provides a sort of touchstone for Danish freehands and freehands in general. He often resorts to that Dublineque shape, which he does extremely well, but he has many other versions that resemble other shapes (a little) or seem altogether original. So in conjuring with the question "what constitutes a freehand," I begin with him. There are certainly other masters of the form, but maybe few as prolific in defining it. Without trying to pin it down to six standards (or eight or ten) I'd just refer to Nording pages at online retailers. There they are in all their variety.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
As to plateau rims, anthony, quite right about them not being a defining characteristic as I have a bid old Ben Wade freehand without such which is vaguely Dublin-like. mso, the thing about Nordings of which I have a few, is that I can find them on the SP site described alternatively as freehands and Dublins and sometimes I see little defining difference between the shapes, though it does seem that the more they vary from the classic form, the more likely they are to be called freehands.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Relating to plateau, my favorite freehand is one my wife gave me for Christmas in 2010 with plateau on both the rim and the shank, kind of a classic rendition with the Dublin shape, but a pointed bowl base, called by some a tomahawk. This is a Johs with a big bowl, probably a Group 5. (Apologies from the tech dyslexic for no photo.) Mogen Johansen who makes Johs is, of course, Danish, and comes by it "honest." My second favorites are a Nording signature and a Thompson Cigar house pipe stamped West Germany (plateau on the rim, but not on the shank, but a nice hunk of briar and light weight for its size).

Status
Not open for further replies.