Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our Featured Interview on The Pipes Magazine Radio Show tonight is with Fred Hanna. Fred is well-known pipe collector, author, and speaker at pipe shows. We have an extended interview tonight, and will be cutting the Pipe Parts segment. Fred and Brian will talk in-depth about 3 topics - 1) Fred's famous and controversial article; "The Myth of Brand vs. Briar", 2) Vintage tobaccos that are currently undervalued, and 3) Snuff.
Fred Hanna

fred-hanna.jpg

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Fred is a great guy to hang out with. I had the pleasure of absorbing stuff like a sponge from him in the Chicago show two years ago.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've never had the pleasure of meeting Fred but devour everything he writes. I've got the perfect drive tonight to listen to the show!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Excellent segment on nasal snuff. I've been a "snuff taker" for about 10 years and other than one good friend who also loves it, I've known of no other. I still have some Wilson's of Sharrow tins that I tap into from time to time. It's an interesting and historically fascinating hobby and practice and I'm thrilled that Brian got Dr. Hanna to talk about the various snuff types and brands. Another great episode!

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
A great interview with Fred. Great stuff about briar versus brand. I tend to lean towards the briar aspect as well. It just seems so logical. It was interesting to know that Fred is a Snuff Taker. I too use snuff and find it very enjoyable. One must exercise caution when using it. The over zealous "snuffer" may get more than he/she bargained for! One point that Fred didn't mention about snuff is that if you pinch it with your fingers, let the snuff warm up in your fingers for a minute or two. That allows the oils and flavorings "bloom" so you get more scent/flavor.
Great show, yet again.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
Again, Great Show!!! I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say I could listen to Fred for two hours! Always an interesting interview. I agree with Fred in that the briar is probably the most important factor outside of drilling and it is usually overlooked by most and the stamping sways their decision more.
Also,the Ernie Markle show was great, although I have a bone to pick with you about "proper" Castillian Spanish. I have a master's in Spanish Linguistics and Literature and one thing all my professors have stressed, is that all dialects are linguistically valuable. There are even studies showing that the reason Latin Americans speak the way they do is from the influence of the Andalucian expolorers. They don't use the Northern Castillian soft "z" or "c" and have similar elimination of the ultimate voiced consonants. For what it's worth, they say the people in Valladolid have the "nicest" Spanish. But it's bordering on snobbery, and that shan't be tolerated in the pipe community :)
I wanted to ask if there are any shows dealing with DGT (delayed gratification technique). I'm a little interested in seeing what the pro's think about this. If it has been covered, would you be ever so kind as to tell me what episode? Thanks a bunch and keep up the good work Brian!
-Andrew from Japan

drs57

Lurker
Feb 23, 2013
Fred's discussion of snuff was very interesting. I bought each one of his recommended snuff brands and am thoroughly enjoying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.