PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
There are a couple of great Bing Crosby threads on this site. In fact I originally discovered this site while searching for Bing pipes. I thought we needed a Fred Astaire thread too.
I am a big fan of his and I hope that I am not the only one. He did a lot of things with style and I have to include smoking a pipe. By looking at his films, it is clear that his pipe was not just a prop, but that he was a smoker.
He often smoked long straight billiards. Here in 1934:

gay-divorcee-1-600x480.jpg

and here in 1935:

top-hat-2-600x480.jpg

I bought this Bentley London Chestnut 6" pipe in homage to Fred:

bentley-pipe-master-1.jpg

I also think that he may be smoking a merchant service pipe (made famous by Bing) in this 1936 film:

swingtime1-600x480.jpg

In looking for pipes that remind me of both Bing and Fred I discovered this Savinelli Roma 706 6.5". I have not acquired this one but I am thinking about it.

savinelli-roma-706.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Mr. Astaire brought grace and an unmistakable elan to everything which he did. In a way he was Mr. Crosby's polar opposite, deliberate and precise, whereas the latter was famously casual and catch-as-catch-can. Perhaps that is why they paired so well together on-screen.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Fred was on one of the giants of the screen. Just about all his musicals are top notch. He danceed with a lot of great dancers but Ginger Rogers was incomparable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fortunately, much of Astaire's work was captured on film so he will be there in all his athletic perfection for future generations, as will Ginger.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Classy guy, classy pipes. I just want to go back in time and live in that era...smoke a pipe in my living room, feet up, reading the paper, kids playing outside.....

Status
Not open for further replies.