PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Whether by accident or intentionally, there are many of us who concoct private smoking mixes. It can be mere curiosity or the spirit of adventure which drives us. There are some who look upon taking a perfectly good tobacco and mucking with it as sacrilege. Some of mine have been less than pleasant. Let's not dwell on the past. What have you got right now, in your cellar, that is unnatural, not meant to be, defying the odds, tempting fate, or just plain taking up space.
It doesn't have to be a failure either. My tinkering and then forgetting, then tinkering again, has resulted in a pleasing mixture I have no way to reproduce since I don't know the ratios involved. It consists of MacBaren Virginia #1, GLP Sixpence, C&D Star of The East, and Sir Walter Raleigh. Some of you are shaking your heads, some are disgusted, some have fainted; But SOME are cheering. I am not here to judge. I just want to know what you have wrought with your own hands, or by bending the expertise of Master Blenders to your will.
Curiosity killed the cat. Satisfaction brought him back.
Bring out your dead (or living) Frankenblends !!
Monty-Python-and-The-Holy-Grail-monty-python-16521267-845-468.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like to mix one flake of Old Dark Fired with a couple of Maduro coins cut from an Oliva Cigar.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Couldn't tell you what's in mine even if I wanted to. My frankenblend is one big jar where I dump every blend I get bored of. Sort of like a Best of the Rest kind of thing. At least six different blends have gone in there. The over-arching aroma of the jar right now is fruity English, which I actually don't mind.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I really enjoy a 50/50 mix of C&D Autumn Evening with H&H Anniversary Cake.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
About two weeks ago I decided to reanimate some leftover Dunhill blends that had been drying out for the last decade or so. After a fastidious start I soon decided to throw them all together in a big jar and see what would come out. About half of it is Standard Medium, the rest is made up of Royal Yacht, Elizabethan and some EMP. Sacrilege perhaps, but it turned out quite well.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If the tobaccos you're putting into your casserole are not overly cased, topped or smoked, it will be fine.

You start mixing in flavored stuff and then it's a crap shoot.

My favorite modifier is Carter Hall. It helped me to tame Big n' Burley, for instance.

Lately most all my smokes are hand mixed by moi using a nice variety of bulk blenders, including Va, Burley, Lat, Perique and Izmir. I think it comes out to around $3.54 per 2oz, if I mixed it all together.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
My son and I had quite a few several jars of "leftovers" and decided to see what it all would be like thrown together... let me see, there was My Mixture 965, Nat Sherman 365 (I think), Cerberus, Magnum Opus, Boswell's Northwoods... and maybe a few others. I gave it a couple mists of distilled water, worked it about, and jarred it. About a year later what we ended up with was OUTSTANDING!!! Between the two of us, we call it "Jerwynn's Rampant Lion"! My son liked it so much, he wanted to buy the 8 or 10 tins new and make another batch! That struck me as sacrilege... but who knows... maybe someday.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I stil like Carter Hall and Perique, the ratio changes all the time.
50/50 Aiwass and Massacra is nice.
My favorite all time Home Made Couchleg Crumble Kake, Larry's Blend and Joe Krantz. I call it Joe, Larry, and Burley. Great stuff. Make a small batch and place it under the sofa leg for a few hours.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I've been smoking since the early '70's and to be honest, to me, real tobacco has always been either a Virginia mix or an English. I was never one for true, pure aromatics and though in hindsight, some blends were /considered/ aromatic, I'm talking about the stuff that sounds more like candy than tobacco--- you know, cherry, maple, pancakes, mint--- all that stuff--- I always felt that was more for people who really did not like real tobacco per se, but just as a conveyance for a flavor or aroma they liked.
But to be honest, a lot of you guys surprise me, many years ago I scanned the recommendations for what people really liked (on the web somewhere) and tried many of them. A lot of them were OK, but nothing I'd buy again. Many of them I did not care for at all. Scanning current pages here I find few of those old favorites still on anyone's list. It seems a lot of the consumer market is geared towards people getting bored and always looking for something "new." But how "new" can something really be when fundamentally, if you look at the blends, you find nearly all of them made from the same things, and often in similar combos?! Virginias, Burleys, Orientals, Cavendishes, etc. I quickly found out a few axiomatic truths, for myself at least:
1). There are no bad tobaccos, only bad blends.
2). You can always make a better blend for yourself than you can buy, because you know what you like best.
In the early day, I tried a lot of OTC stuff in pouches; like Paladin, Mix.79, Capt. Black, Sail, Madeiro Gold, Edgeworth, and so on, but there was something lacking in these. Then I tried MacBarens Virginia No.1 and discovered I liked the sweetness but not the bite, but that lead to another axiom:
3). The right pipe for the right tobacco.
Today I smoke some gentle aros as a diversion, but like the virginia and the english blends, I like subtlety, depth and complexity rather than a 1-dimensional tobacco that is EXACTLY the same in look, cut and taste, puff after puff, bowl after bowl, or a flavor that is overpoweringly, unmistakably and obviously just one thing and one thing alone.
For one thing, there is just too much hype out there for me. I don't believe in marketing that tells me (subliminally or to my face) that this blend is best for the morning or evening, or will remind me of being at a baseball game in the Spring with the blossoms on the trees! Also, I've found many popular blends by Big Names to apparently all be the same tobacco! Just a subtle (very subtle) difference in flavoring. At some point, minor differences get to be too minor, I believe in a few major types of tobacco that are far and apart different that I can smoke the rest of my life. A sweeter, virginia type with body and roundness, a spicier balkan type but with smoothness, and a flavored tobacco that has subtly and depth and nice aroma, but with restraint. And that is why I blend for myself because it takes only a minor change to push a blend from being too demure to being over the top and I find most commercial blends simply get it wrong (for me at least). To me, if you truly like a tobacco, you are going to like it morning, noon and night, bowl after bowl. So with that in mind, I mostly smoke my own blends now, and they evolve. I look forward to every bowl because I know each will be a unique experience.
First and foremost, I like to mix different tobaccos: ribbon-cut, steamed and pressed, roll cake. Each will give a different variety of flavor and burn. Blended well, but not to a degree that you /totally/ destroy their individual character. And for whatever you might not like in one tobacco, there is another that will pull it in the right direction to offset its negative characteristic.
I like my Virginia to be sweet, but not too sweet. A like it dark and contrasty as well. I like my Balkan blends to be spicy, but subtle, not too edgy or dry tasting. And I like my aros to be tamed down--- pleasing flavor that does not jump out and shout one thing or another, but is subliminal, and with a complex and ever-changing aroma that gives hints of this or that. I also like to age my tobaccos a lot, put them in glass jars with a little air and let them go to town for a number of years to round them out.
So what does that presently leave me with?
For my "English Blend": (portions are an approximation):
8 parts Royal Yacht

6 parts 965

8 parts Gaes 4:1

4 parts Nightcap

1 part Kensington

1 part Odyssey

1 part Renaissance

1 part Mephisto

1 part Charing Cross

1 part Caravan

20 parts Mississippi River

6 parts Virginia No.1
For my Virginia Blend:
Dark Star

Danish Slices

Dark Twist Roll Cake

Royal Estate

Deep Hollow

Navy Flake

Vanilla Creme
And for my aro, roughly equal parts of the following:
Blood Red Moon

MacB Virginia No.1

Mississippi River

Sutliiff Chocolate Mousse
YMMV but that is what works for me. Now, you might look at these and see some overlap, and that is by design. And the next time, I will likely try a different cherry than BRM and maybe Bob's Chocolate flake over Sutliff's. That is how you learn. The pleasure is in the creation, and there are no failures, because as you go along, you learn to get a feel for what works and by adding this or that, you WILL end up with the smoke you want!

Status
Not open for further replies.