PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
It's been an extremely busy year and I've had little time to spend on the forum but I just had to post some pics of this beauty.
18794051758_bbcd0a311c_c_d.jpg

18981699435_dfe25b818b_c_d.jpg

I've admired much of German pipe maker Frank Axmacher's work for some time now and this piece is right up there with his finest. I came across it on Al Pascia the other day and it was one of those pipes that immediately grabs you and won't let go. You know the ones...
18795492829_f1e034117e_c_d.jpg

18795460409_32855bb77f_c_d.jpg]

Back in March I had a conversation with Grant Batson regarding some very old horn material he obtained from Frank which Grant used in a pipe he made for me. The horn is English from the 1930's and is the same material Bo Nordh, Lars & Nana Iverson and Former used in their creations. According to Grant, Frank filled his trunk with as much of the horn he could carry so I'm pretty sure this is what he used for this pipe. It's beautifully marbled and exceptionally dry, making it resistant to cracking.
18359111164_d57b85d47e_c_d.jpg

18795450619_bb23e4acb0_c_d.jpg

The grain on this baby is first rate with some of the finest birdseye there is. The staining really complements both grain patterns in a rich warm walnut with gold and umber tones. Just gorgeous. The pipe is just the right size with a two inch bowl height.
18976247302_9fae21d6f4_c_d.jpg

18976306592_d43f46942b_c_d.jpg

I can't wait to light a little Sextant or Charing Cross even if it is almost too pretty to smoke.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I've been eyeing on Axemacher's work for a while. What a beauty you've acquired. :puffy:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The German pipe scene never fails to impress. These guys are looking down at the rest of the world and yet no one is talking about it and it's been this way for decades.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
congratulations, it's wonderful!

Just one question: when I see these HD well lighted pictures I wonder if the grain and birdeyes look so clear in normal daylight. Do they?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Yes.

All the detail is there, the photographs just enhance the contrast and enlarge fine detail. They do not add anything. The clarity does not change though the vibrance does.

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
You're right Bigpond. It's a shame the German makers do not receive the credit or notoriety that their Danish, Italian and American colleagues do in spite of the high quality and beauty of their offerings. Rainer Barbi and Karl-Heinz Joura were/are the exceptions but there are many German makers who's work is as good if not superior to theirs yet they remain relatively unknown. Makers such as Frank Axmacher, Jürgen Moritz, Cornelius Mänz, Paul Becker, Oliver & Max Brandt, Werner Mummert and Eckhard Stöhr come to mind. I really don't know why this disparity exists even though Germany has a long tradition of pipe smoking.

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
I wish I could take credit for the gorgeous photography work but the good folks at Al Pascia in Milan took these photos. Just as Bigpond said, the photos are done in such a way as to enhance the detail and contrast of the grain and are untouched in any way. What you see is what you get. The photos are taken under ideal lighting conditions and ordinary room lighting may not show the same vibrancy as do the photos. Otherwise the photos are very accurate representations of the pipe.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
rockvillepete, with the exception of Oliver and Max Brandt and Joura, I own pipes by all the names you've listed and all are excellent smokers and very well executed, my Axmacher is visually a stunner in my eyes, yours is simply gorgeous, wishing you many great memories.

banjo

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, now that I know you didn't take them, I'd say the only defect is the glare of the ceiling fluorescents!
What beautiful wood, though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All that birdseye, all that grace of design ... and unbelievably, it's a sitter! What a poem it is, in briar. Smoke that beauty, every chance you get.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I generally don't like these sorts of shapes (elephant's foot, tortoise, etc.), but this one is truly elegant. Wow. One to be proud of -- congrats.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Beautiful pipe. I bought an Axmacher from Al a few weeks ago myself, a sandblasted billiard. It's a nice pipe but good gosh, it has the nastiest bowl coating I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.