PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
A co worker of mine knows I like pipes. While in a shop over the weekend she spots a bowl of pipes, snaps a picture and sends it to me. Of all the ones I can see, the four dot stem jumps out the most. I say buy it.

Today she gives me the nicest estate I've ever had. Slight rim char, but other wise very clean and straight.

Family Era (Hurlingham is light but visible to the eye)

Cannot wait to smoke it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great find! Approximate year?
I had dinner at The Hurlingham Club just two months ago with some friends who live nearby. I wonder if Sasieni named other lines after other clubs.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, that was a great find! That rim char should come off nicely, enjoy it! Sasieni tapered stems, like Comoys/Dunhill, are a delight to work on.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Doc- I couldn't find a town or city named that in England, but almost certainly the London Club was what they had in mind. Other shapes may have been been named for places, but I don't know the line.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I couldn't find a town or city named that in England
This got me curious. Hurlingham was/is? a Ward of Fulham Metropolitan Borough London.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulham#/media/File:Fulham_Met._B_Ward_Map_1916.svg

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
This is a really good point, I was under the impression of town/place names, but one of mine is a 'Lombard' which is a London street AFAIK, the other is a Buckingham. I guess I don't really know for sure.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
And for just a little more trivia, in the 1930's the Hurlingham was the Rustic version of the Buckingham, shape 55, a billiard. The name was later given to shape 52, the pipe in the OP.
sasi6-435x600.jpg

from a 1960's catalog, although the change was earlier,
64sas14-468x600.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hurlingham Club, located in the Fulham section of London, is consistent with other names such as Buckingham, Lombard, The Derby and The Moorgate, all being places, but not primarily cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.