PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I was on my way home when a sign announcing an estate sale called out to me. Turned right, followed the asphalt as it turned to gravel and there was the largest garage sale that I have ever seen. If I had that much land, I would have as much "stuff". And, there it was
77dUK.jpg

jwdeB.jpg

Now all I need is some Jack Knife Plug!!!!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Great piece of tabacciana history -I love it! Herbinedave is right about the rust. If you've got the slightest chance of every trying to resell it in the future I'd leave it as is. It looks like some of the original paint is still visible.

...Now if it was mine I'd strip that bad boy down with a chemical rust remover and just lightly oil it. Alot of old cast iron is naturally an attractive dark gray and with a light film of oil it stays looking good.
Thanks for sharing the pics I've never seen one of those before. Cool!

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Thanks for all the comments guys. I will keep it as is for now. I was surprised to find one here in N California. It would be great to know its history if it could only talk.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I be of the affirmative. I have one as well -- but mine is smaller. It was my grandfather's, who, with his brother, owned the only general store at the time in a small town on the St. Lawrence in northern Quebec in the eraly 20th century. The cutter was already old and in the store when they bought it and tobacco came in "hogshead" barrels and all had to be cut in the store prior to purchase.
Damn; it must have been something to see those thousand-pound barrels rolling in! I wonder how long it would take my local to get through a single hogshead.

Status
Not open for further replies.