PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The kids were getting a little wild yesterday so I thought looking at some old photos might distract them for awhile (it did). I came across this little gem, of my grandfather. Probably taken in late 1981. I had to take a picture of it with my tablet camera, so the quality is terrible, but - right there on his side table you can see what looks to be a cob of some sort, as well as another briar of some kind.
He gave up the pipe when I was very young, I can't remember him smoking his pipes at all. He passed away 12 or so years ago now, long before I started piping. When we were moving my grandma into a home, Opa's pipes were long gone. I would love to have one of them.
That delightful little cherub in his arms is yours truly.
photo-editing_cloud20180201_3-600x337.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
mikethompson:
Thank-you for sharing. My paternal grandfather was a pipe-smoker, and I would have given much to have received just one of his pipes, but they were thrown away like so much trash after his passing. I do have one of my maternal grandfather's pipes, and I smoke and treasure it.
A caption to this photo: Mike, when you grow up you will have all kinds of pipe-tobacco from which to choose...maybe even one called Penzance! :)

Very cool pic and story. My grandfather was a very infrequent pipe and cigar smoker. My uncles were more of the notorious pipe men in my family. I also barely ever remember seeing my grandfather smoke anything.

And, color photograph of you as a baby... you must still be a young man. Thanks for sharing!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You seem to be beseeching him to loan you one of his cobs and a premium blend from the tin.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
36 years young!
Yes MSO I do like that look on my face as well. I like to think that this was my first whiff of pipe tobacco with my eyes bulging out with delight.
When we were clearing out the house I did find that leather tobacco container. Unfortunately it was in terrible shape, smelt awful, and full of elastics. I wish I had one of those pipes though.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
No doubt my grandchildren will always associate me with pipes smoking. Heck, my 18 and 11/12 y.o. grandson often sees 1 in my mug when he stops in.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I love these old photos. I think my grandfather had the same shirt (or one like it).

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Thanks for the comments guys, its brought back some time memories of him.
When he returned from WWII, he worked as an Steelworker, then was an OPP motorcycle cop in Niagara Falls, then opened a barbershop, then became a professional wrestler, then sold pipe organs, then became a motivational speaker, and then in his twilight years a hypnotherapist.
Frank-Thompson.jpg

Frank-Thompson.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, what an interesting and multi-faceted life. He had some stories to tell.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks for sharing the stories and photos. I have only three memories of my Dad's paw, one when he was called in to spank me when my Dad was away, once he took me fishing, and then seeing him on his death bed.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
That's a cool memory for you man! Your grandpa sounds like he led an interesting life to say the least. We're the same age but I lost both grandpas in the late 80's. Glad ya got to spend some time with him over the years:)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You're lucky to have had him in your life for so long. At age 9, all of my grandparents were gone. That is a great pic, thanks for giving us a peek at the good old days.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Wow ... that's quite some background. I raise a cup of wine for your grand da.

Status
Not open for further replies.