Found A Margate Review That's Really Entertaining

(20 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by carolinachurchwarden
  • Latest reply from carolinachurchwarden
  1. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was stumbling through TR's site a couple of weeks ago when I fell upon a review for Margate (and kind of Penzance at the same time) that was so entertaining I just had to share it:

A TWIN REVIEW BY COMPARISON:

Margate is a maiden while Penzance is a matriarch. "Margate is to the morning, what Penzance is to the evening." These two are exotic, loving, sister-wives to be sure, but only "just." Both are lady-like in that neither will reward you with their secret dainties unless treated with dignity and respect. However, approached with gentle hands and patience, they will both yield their hidden delights and favor you with their mysterious and oriental treasures. I love both of these, my Macedonian wives. Esoterica has a harem of these ladies, and Penzance and Margate are the most favored women among them. Once you have been seduced by both, you cannot do without either. All others pale in comparison.

Upon opening, both have a fragrance that tantalize the senses with veiled promises of things to come. Upon lighting, wait for them to warm until they unfold with that soft, unique, slipstream fragrance that you long for. The lingering, haunting, room aroma is uniquely "Esoterica". From there, and until the end of the experience, there is nothing else that compares. It is Beulah Land!

So what then is the difference? Well it is subtle but real. Margate is a tad crisper, tangier, while Penzance is softer, more mature and deeper. The first is a tease, while the latter is a lover. Again, "Margate is to the morning, what Penzance is to the twilight, the evening, and the black and dark night." Like virtuous women, they are hard to come by, but well worth the wait. If you find them, keep them. They are faithful to their man. Four heavenly stars! Enjoli' !!!

It had me cracking up, that's for sure. This dude gets +1 times infinity fro me.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This type of review are the only ones I pay attention to. I totally understand the need for the more objective Jiminks type of reviews, but I prefer to do my own observations of flavor. I, generally, just use the review sites to note what type of tobacco something is. But, these... pure entertainment, and makes scrolling through reviews worth it.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I am glad the reviewer chose not to extend his analogies to describe the moisture left in the aftermath. Or maybe it would have been hilarious. We’ll never know.

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some people really do take this pipe smoking thing seriously.

You can change the subject in the following sentence to suit your needs, but I am reminded of a saying we have in flyfishing.

"Flyfishing is not a matter of life and death. It is far more important than that"

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some people really do take this pipe smoking thing seriously

I am a bit dense, but what do you mean? Who is taking what seriously?

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't you think that to take time and compose such purple prose shows more than a casual interest?

Just sayin'

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ohhh, the writer... I took you wrong. Yes, but at least he was light-hearted about it. I prefer that kind of seriousness... creative seriousness.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Certainly more entertaining than the technical dissection of a blend

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of the better reviews for sure..

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't find the 2 blends that similar but it was and interesting and entertaining review. I think it exhibits the enjoyment this reviewer is having from smoking their pipe. Which is awesome.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll translate it into Southern for y'all.

Margate ... It's Good, Gone Get Sum!

Neal
    Posted 4 months ago #
  12. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting such an entertaining piece regarding two fabled blends.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wait, wait, wait, Npod... where do the majority of American authors come from? While folks were up North making factories and rules, the boys down here were perfecting the art of fishing and writing. One of the two of those things is going to make you spit coffee on your screen, ha ha.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll translate it into Southern for y'all.

Margate ... It's Good, Gone Get Sum!

That's profilin'! I mean, so what if it could be accurate!

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hear you Cosmic. But let's agree that any astute and articulate Southerner knows the lost art of communicating with as few words as possible. That is what made southern writers so successful! I'm still in training.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. xingpao

xingpao

Login to Send PM

That review is pretty darn accurate in my opinion.

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony had started a thread a while back about these types of humorous/entertaining reviews, have to try and dig that one up again...

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This dude gets +1 times infinity fro me.

I would think posting a loving review of Esoterica blends would be a plank-walkin' offense aboard the Frigate.

Some people really do take this pipe smoking thing seriously.

I would argue that "technical" reviews are just as serious, if not more so.

But I'm not sure serious is the best term, although it's not inappropriate. It's no different than connoisseurs of fine wines.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 4 months ago #
  19. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Those are the kind of reviews I enjoy reading! The earthy, stewed fruit, figgy notes are all well and good and have there place.

However, I like the more entertaining, creative descriptions!

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would think posting a loving review of Esoterica blends would be a plank-walkin' offense aboard the Frigate.

Hey now, never said it was meant to be a loving review of another blend as much as the way the review was written. Now I be consumed with a burnin' desire to write a fond review o tha Frigate!

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   laniromee, lawdawg, nunnster, newportpipe, k9shag, ben88, pianopuffer, cowboythunder, krizzose, prairiedruid, ravkesef, jpberg, jiminks, gatorlope, jravenwood, alaskanpiper, jmill208