PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
So yesterday I was looking on the net for some aftershave and a new double edge safety razor, when I came across this online store called Maggard Razors. Me being a little suspicious of any online store decided to call them and make sure that they were on the up and up. Turns out they actually have a brick and mortar store that you can see and look at all their items. But the real kicker was they are 25 minutes from my home!!! So took the family up to their location, my sons went in with me while my wife stayed in the car with the baby. Place was awsome, like stepping back in time! Old time barber inside, every razor, aftershave, brush, soap one could think of. If they don't have it, you don't need it. Super nice owner talked with me for about 45 minutes, and didn't even get pissed when my son broke a bottle of aftershave on he floor. About 100 bucks later we left and had a great dinner at a local mom and pop resturant (fresh walleye). In no way am I connected to this fine store, just wanted to give a shout out to them as I know there are many of us here who use DE razors. And of course had a great day with the family.... :puffy:

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
That's a wonderful thing. I hope word gets around. Like pipesmoking, proper shaving is having a massive resurgence at the moment, with many great choices out there for the aspiring shavemeister. I have been shaving properly for quite some time now [about 7 years] and alternate between a 34C and a Muhle R89, with Gillette 7 o' Clock yellows and a couple of Omega boar brushes. Unfortunately, in China real shaving gear is almost non-existent, so I have been forced to use Dove moisturising bar instead of shaving soap. It works well in fact. Last month I finally saw a real tub of actual shaving cream in Jiu Guang, by Acqi di Parma. $100/tub is too much for me, especialy since it would probably on last a month at most.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That's really cool. I have a local place that just opened up a couple of months ago that is a 5-10 minute walk from my home. It is The Shave Cave where you can buy stuff for home use, and / or get an old fashioned straight razor shave, plus haircuts and shoe shine. They also give you free locally brewed beer.
The last two shots are me getting a shave.
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Kevin:
You are, indeed, a lucky man to have a place like The Shave Cave within walking distance. Not many things in this world top a full-service barbershop shave, haircut, and a shoe-shine. Add in some locally-brewed (and free) beer, and you've got the foundation for a GREAT day!

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Thanks for the tip about Maggard. I visit near Adrian every year so I will try to stop by. Likely will place an order soon. Thanks for the link, Frankie.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Thanks for the link. I got my first safety razor for chriatmas an am having a hard time finding blades locally. I plan on picking up a gelette safety razor next time I hit the antique stores.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
gambitt88:
If you are looking for an older Gillette double-edge razor, then allow me to recommend an Adjustable. This razor, also sometimes referred to as the Fat Boy, has a nice weight to it, and features nine levels of shaving closeness. I use one, and find that it works well.
Good luck in your search!
th

th

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Huntertrw I'll look for one. I got one of those microtouch razors for christmas. I like it but I deem to wear out the razors after three or four shaves. I've heard the blades it came with are junk though.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
We are also fortunate here in Spokane as our local tobacco shop sells shaving accessories also.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Not a wet shaving store, but I buy all my soap and after shave from this nice lady. Mama Bears Soaps. I think she has an amazon store as well.
I love the smell of bay rum, and hers is top notch. Even if my wife says I smell like an old man.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I like the old time aftershaves. I use Hess shaving soap, like the Lilac Vegetal after shave. I get stuff from APOPKA BEAUTY & BARBER SUPPLY, my barber gave me a catalog to order from. I need too buy a good razor. Take care all.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I'll second the votes on the Fatboy, but my personal go-to DE is my Gillette Red Tip. For the past year or so I can't pass by my Schick Injector, though.

pcr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2014
I've been wet shaving for almost 10 years now, DE and straights. Learn your technique well, learn how to strop/sharpen correctly, use good products... relax and enjoy. Wet shaving is akin (to me) is much like pipe smoking; a time honored tradition, a manly ritual. Kevin, the Shave Cave looks awesome.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Damn Kevin,
If I had a place like that near my I would probably never leave. I haven't had an old fashion shave like that since I got out of the Marine Corps. THAT PLACE was great. You could smoke cigars and shoot the breeze with the fellas while watching football or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.