Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Fossils

(18 posts)
  1. blackbeard

Tyler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe a shot in the dark here but it's been bothering me for a while. Came across a fossil here in Kentucky (a strange one for the area especially) and am having difficulties getting info on it. It's probably 10X6x1.5 inches or so, too lazy to go dig it out and measure it. To be honest, I really want to know what it would sell for. Anyone in the forums just happen to be a paleontologist? What would you pay for it?

Who is John Galt?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. blackbeard

Tyler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

damn ammonite or whatever it is needs to be in currency for pipe tobacco

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought this was going to be a Barling thread.

Sorry, can't help you with the fossil, but would be curious to hear how you found it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. macaroon

macaroon

Login to Send PM

That's incredibly cool! My first impression was ammonite as well.

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul"
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. tobyducote

NOLA Cajun

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very cool..sorry no help here though

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a gemologist, you really won't get much money by just posting it somewhere, like on the of the lapidary or fossil sites. If you are really interested in getting as much as you can for the fossil, you need to take it to Tuscon for the Gem and Mineral show in February. This is where many museums and collectors will go to drop thousands and maybe millions on specimens, but the price you get will depend on the rarity of your particular specimen, and as a whole fossil, it "might" be worth something significant (MIGHT). I cannot price your piece, because fossils are not my area (and pictures are not the best way to do it anyways), but I would urge you to look up your local gemological society and ask them. Many areas will also have local gem and mineral shows, which is a good place to at least unload it for something.
    I hope that helps.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't answer your question as to its value, but demands the question as to what conditions laid down a seashell of that size in sediments in Kentucky?

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ammonites and Trilobites are some of the most common fossils to be found... I used to find these two all the time when I was a small child up in Griffith Park, not sure what their worth is, but I wouldn't bet on allot. But it is very cool, were I you id keep it.

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

what conditions laid down a seashell of that size in sediments in Kentucky?

Almost the entirety of the Appalachian was shallow ocean floor just off the coast of France until an event in the paleozoic area forced the meandering plates upwards into mountain ranges, while they were drifting about the ocean. These are some of the oldest mountains in the world, but at one time they were underwater.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. blackbeard

Tyler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"It is coiled nautiloid cephalopod, a distant cousin of the modern chambered nautilus. I'm not sure of the genus or species." - From someone who knows their stuff....I found it just following a spring that came out of a hillside. On the path to finding what it's worth. I would keep it...but, would rather have money.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Find one this size and ya might make a few bucks.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought this was going to be a codger burley thread. You might ask at your local museum, where they can point you to fossil experts for an appraisal.

Otherwise, it might make a cool pipe if you drilled it out.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. blackbeard

Tyler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Finding a museum in the middle of nowhere Kentucky isn't a walk down the street. It would make a cool pipe....but, the ghosting would be impossible to remove.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't hold your breath waiting for cash to come rolling in ! It's likely if you scoured the area where you found it, you could find about 500 others. At least here in North Texas, where you find them you will find a lot more in the same strata. I know of a creek in Fort Worth where you could load trucks all day with them and never break out anything more than a pickaxe and a shovel. Being able to find them like that in places across the country, I can't see how the value would be too much except on really exceptional specimens.

-Ryan Alden
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. blackbeard

Tyler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know of the ones in Texas. It's certainly odd for it to be in this area though, and I hunted the area found 10 times over, if there are more...they are buried deep. Emailing with some people at the moment, they are wanting to look more into it...for whatever reason. I don't expect much from it, but would be nice to know more about it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. blackbeard

Tyler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh and my apologies for those who came expecting tobacco just rambling gathering thoughts on this thing. Posted in general discussion, but completely forgot to talk about my favorite color.....black of course!

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with Cosmic. The best place to gage the market would be at the Quartzite Gem & Mineral Show. Quartzite, AZ would be a great place to spend the month of Feb & get away from winter. Perhaps you could find a dealer to consign it to. Around 2,000 dealers attend every yr & the population of little Quartzite more than doubles. Motorhomes are abundant.

Rebels been rebels since I don't know when
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup, those are where the big bucks hit the floor. But some of the ones you see "not for sale" are the ones that take your breath away.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jjarrett88, papipeguy, mau1, ashdigger, mellobeing, tbradsim1