Former Prime Ministers Pipe Sold

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by withnail
  • Latest reply from withnail
  1. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm watching one of those antique programs where people take in their items to be valued and then sell them at auction.

Someone brought in a pipe that belonged to Harold Wilson who was British Prime Minister between 1964 - 1970 and then again from 1974 - 1976, winning a total of 4 elections. He had donated it to a charity auction in the '70's, along with a letter and a signed picture of him smoking the pipe.

Sadly they didn't mention the pipe maker and even with freeze frame, I couldn't make out the makers name. Anyway, it went to auction and sold for £110 ($163) which means the seller took home £93 ($138) after tax and commission. Strikes me as a bargain!

Albert Einstein said "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs"
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

Interesting, seems he made out pretty good with the pipe-smoking identity!

A neat old short documentary features him too:
    http://www.britishpathe.com/video/harold-wilson-at-pipe-exhibition

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the link. How time change! Here's an article about a BBC retrospective on his life, which tried to avoid showing him smoking!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2277847/So-did-BBC-chiefs-rob-Harold-Wilson-pipe-Questions-asked-PM-s-smoking-played-new-documentary.html

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope the buyer was Bob Hoskins. I can see him smoking it and in his best gangster voice saying, "This righ 'ere, it's the Proyme Ministahs pipe, it is. AN 'AT MEANS OY'M THA PROYME MINISTAH NOW!" And then shooting somebody. With his crazy eyes.
    But I digress. Cool!

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No sound could not hear what was being said, yes my sound was on and up as high as it could be ????????????

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By the look of his pipe he was a "chewer"! May be the stress of world politics will do that to you?

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good post - and thanks for the links misterlowercase. Seems someone got it for cheap - wish I knew what brand of pipe it was though.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I hope the buyer was Bob Hoskins. I can see him smoking it and in his best gangster voice saying, "This righ 'ere, it's the Proyme Ministahs pipe, it is. AN 'AT MEANS OY'M THA PROYME MINISTAH NOW!" And then shooting somebody. With his crazy eyes.
    But I digress. Cool!

Easter is right around the corner!

Al

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only thing I could make out as far as the maker was concerned was a "Royale" stamp on the shank. But many pipe manufacturer have used that name for a series of pipes. But seeing he was Prime Minster, I'm guessing it wasn't a cheap basket pipe.

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

john218

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't see the link here.

Was the pipe a pot shape? I've seen several pictures of him smoking a pot.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

Abraham Lincoln
    Posted 6 years ago #
  11. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think he must have had a good pipe rotation as I've seen pictures of him with a pot, Dublin and billiard amongst others. Although I think most (all?) his pipes were straight.

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sablebrush52, dino