For You Old Timers, And Maybe The Youngsters To!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Remember when?
I grew up with a wooden ice box, and no TV until I was 10, and that TV had a black & white picture, and 3 stations.
I lived in the city, and the "milkman" used to deliver our milk with a horse drawn wagon.
The ragman, an old Italian, used to come by the neighborhood about once a month with his horse drawn wagon, and ringing a bell while yelling out. "Ugh ragsa. Ugh ragsa." My mother would exchange her old, worn rags for new ones.
There were no fast food restaurants. We couldn't afford to go if there were. And we ate pasta 3 times a week, each time cooked differently. Yes, I'm Italian.
My breakfast was pablum. And we carried a lunch box to school.
We were never inside as kids. We had toy guns and played "cowboys & Indians" outdoors. Pickup games of baseball, basketball ball, and football. If the football games were touch fb, we played in the streets in between the traffic flow. If we played tackle fb, we did not wear any type of equipment. And we had some pretty intense tackling games. Broken collar bones, arms, legs, bruises on our heads were expected.
As a kid I would walk down the middle of main street carrying my 22 rifle on my shoulder to shoot rats at the dump.
Drag racing up and down main street in the evening was the norm. Hell, the police never stopped us. Swapping car engines was always part of growing up.
And oh yes. Stealing hubcaps and car fenders was pretty popular to.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Awesome memories, thank you! My late 90s, early 2000s childhood wasn't as fun as this

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Reading this, drinking coffee made me smile. We had the only radio in my neighborhood , neighbors would sit on porch listening to it, we shared, something not seen much these days.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Sure does bring back a lot of memories. I remember the rag man with his horse and wagon. When the horse took a dump in the street the old ladies would gather to pick it up for fertilizer in the gardens. It looked like a hockey face-off in the street.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Ya I remember playing outside till suppertime, that's when kids new how to play and parents didn't worry about them

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Thanks for the post Frank, sounds like we grew up just alike. I remember stick ball and curb ball growing up in Baltimore. Those good times are lost forever in this high tech world. I can honestly say that I saw more pipe smokers back in the 50s then I do today.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
On a school night, we had to be in when the street lights came on. Used to stand outside my friend's houses and call out their names until they came out, or somebody said they weren't home. You're right, we played ball, rode our bikes, played games or soldier or Cowboys and Indians. Trees and bushes were the playhouses and forts. Often we used sticks for weapons and bats for baseball. Nobody cried unless they were dead, lol.

I remember too, when the neighbors came over for coffee or dinner, and we would do the same. On Sunday, we would go to my grandmother's house, have a big lunch, then either watch the Sunday monster movie on her little TV, or go play on the trellis my uncle built so that they could grow merlatons in the back yard. Grandma used to get the comic books that the corner grocery was gonna throw away: I never read one with a cover still on it until I was a teenager. She used to slip me a dollar every time I came over to visit, because I was her favorite. Never did find out if she said the same thing to my brothers.

We didn't have much back then but it seemed like the world was in our pockets.

Jan 8, 2013
These days, if a kid were to play cowboys and indians, people would get offended over the toy guns and people would get offended over the term "indians." :roll:

Jun 4, 2014
Nice memories, Frank I can relate to some of them. I still live in the same town I grew up in but, it was much more rural back then. We had two stores an A&P and the hardware store. We rode our bikes on the road, played in the woods, built forts, went fishing. The back window of every pickup at my high school had a gun rack with at least one gun. The school closed on the first day of deer season.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, Frank.
Very similar in a small town in Illinois. No rag picker I can recall, but we did have a door to door vegetable man, who drove a small battery powered truck. And, he was Italian, but quite old when I was very young. Don't know if he stopped his rounds due to death, or that it wasn't worth his while. Grocery store where they picked cans off the high shelves with a flick and a catch. One day a super market (by the 1950's standards) opened, and not long after the grocery closed its doors. Damn!
Milk delivered to the back porch at 5:30, had to bring it in right away in Winter so it didn't freeze.
Could go anywhere after school as long as I phoned to say where I was. Operator knew my name and home number which was three digits.
Watched a friend's older brother change the motor on a '40 Ford, under the guise of "helping". At ten, no help at all!
First pheasant hunt about that age; duck a few years later. A 4-10 then a Browning sweet 16.
Great memories.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
Born In Texas, In a poor Hispanic neighborhood, my parents were just barely making it, my brother and I dint have lots of toys, we had one tv, but it was strictly reserved for novelas,soccer or football, we had the Nintendo, but that was it, we mostly played outside though and i remember i used to play with bugs too!!! that was weird, lots of kids used to play with dirt and bugs, like the rolley polys and slugs and we used to catch butterflies. we used to walked to school and we young kids, my brother was 8 and i was 7, but it was a whole bunch of us kids walking to school, if we had a dispute we would handle it with either a game of football, or a good ol match of fisticuffs (fist fighting) lots of kids in our neighborhood were left alone in the evenings, because the parents used to have to work, including us, we have learned to take care of each other, and all the kids in the area used to look for one another, we would combine our little money we had and had our neighbor order us some pizza, even the girls were tough, they would get hurt playing outside, and they would walk it off, it is amazing how kids have changed!!! ohh another thing, if the kids were acting bad the parents would either spank them or pull their ears!!!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hextor, I grew up in Las Vegas, NV and the surrounding areas, I'm 53, and we hunted lizards, played with snakes and scorpions and played football in the street. We had one black & white 12 inch TV we would gather around. In 1973 we got a color TV it was huge!!, it was 19 inches. We jumped off the roof to see how far we could go without breaking a leg (I lost). We snuck onto golf courses and hunted quail and cottontails. I'l never forget the first time I really talked back to my dad... he grabbed me.... took me in the back yard and said, "when you can kick my ass you can speak to me anyway you want"....he then proceeded to kick my ass. I miss those days. I miss that amazing man.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My childhood as slightly different, grew up in a farm house built in the early 1900's. No central air or heat. Just Windows and gas heaters or wood stove. We didn't have a/c until I as 10 yrs old. About 3 channels on the TV. But a simple childhood was the best, rode bikes everywhere and played Cowboys and Indians. Country living farm life. I do miss it. Born 1971.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
anthonyrosenthal74
These days, if a kid were to play cowboys and indians, people would get offended over the toy guns and people would get offended over the term "indians." [:roll:]
I had a friend, he was Native American. We used to call him "Tonto" after the character in the Lone Ranger TV series. We would play cowboys & indians with him, and he'd chase us yelling. I'm gonna scalp you."
Never any negative, bs, feedback from the neighbors, community, or are families.
I saw him a few years ago at a HS class reunion. I said. "Hey Tonto. How ya doing?" He responded by raising his hand, and yelling. "I'm gonna scalp you."

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Heh. We used to pile on in football, yelling out words that today would get us shot. Quite innocent of any pejorative meaning. Ah, those days!
Car parked in front of house with keys in the ignition. Reel lawn mowers. Tree trimmers using hand saws. Brush and leaf piles- burn 'em bright!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
If you believe kids today are somehow missing something you had, you are very old and have forgotten what childhood is.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
jpmcwjr-
Heh. We used to pile on in football, yelling out words that today would get us shot. Quite innocent of any pejorative meaning. Ah, those days!
Car parked in front of house with keys in the ignition. Reel lawn mowers. Tree trimmers using hand saws. Brush and leaf piles- burn 'em bright!
And we never locked our doors at night!
Nate -
If you believe kids today are somehow missing something you had, you are very old and have forgotten what childhood is.
Nope, not my belief. And define, "very old?" Nor have I forgotten my childhood. I write about it, and I travel the country speaking about it at high schools, colleges, business functions, etc. And it's because I'm asked to speak.
I embrace life at age 69 because I have learned from my past, and that past included my childhood. Everything I have accomplished is because of my past. I learned from my past what was good, what was bad, what I wanted, and what I did not want. I live for each day, but I never forget my past or where I came from. That doesn't mean that I don't care about kids today. As a matter of fact, it's just the opposite. Kids love me! And, they love the stories I tell about when I was growing up. And to be honest, many of them say. "Frank. I wish I had lived in that time."

Jan 8, 2013
I saw him a few years ago at a HS class reunion. I said. "Hey Tonto. How ya doing?" He responded by raising his hand, and yelling. "I'm gonna scalp you."
Haha! It's always good when a couple old friends can remember their childhood, and at least for a moment or two, be one again. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.