PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
There are a lot of beautiful, well made seconds out there to be had for a bargain.

Here are a few of mine that I have refreshed.
18546766-orig.jpg

Comoy Everman
18546768-orig.jpg

18546769-orig.jpg

18546770-orig.jpg

18546771-orig.jpg

Sasieni Old England
18546772-orig.jpg

18546773-orig.jpg

Don

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Mike, I do them myself by hand. I try to be as gentle as possible in order to keep their historical patina, I think it keeps them honest. :)
Thank you Sean, there are so many beautiful pipes out there hiding under a layer of crud. I find it therapeutic.
Don

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Those are some beauties! I like the lines on the Comoy's. It's a stem marking not seen very often. Very cool.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Sure...
I start by reaming with a PipNet set then move on to an oyster shucker to scrape out some of the cake.

I clean the outside of the stummel with Murphy's Oil Soap (I plug the bowl with a cotton ball) rinse really well with warm/hot water.

Soak the stems in warm/hot water and Oxiclean, remove crud with a magic eraser, then polish with micromesh pads. Coat with mineral oil and let them sit and absorb. Apply a coat of before and after restoration balm, let that sit for a while, finish with Paragon Wax.

The stummels get a light polish with the micromesh pads if needed, a good coat of before and after restoration balm, finish with Paragon or Halcyon Wax.

Internals are cleaned with Everclear, q-tips, bristle pipe cleaners, an ear wax removal set of tools (kinda gross but it really allows you to get the tars out of the shank)

Any pipe with bead lines get a gentle cleaning with a set of dental tools, to get all the crud out of the valleys. They are also great for getting tough residue out of the end of the stems, where they flair.

In the case of stubborn ghosts I use cotton a ball and Everclear soak and or a warm damp coffee grind treatment to pull out the funk.

Stems with bites get painted with a flame first to raise the indents, filled with black superglue if needed, then worked on gently with needle files and sanding pads. I do not like to remove material if at all possible.

To recolor the logos on the stems I stole an idea Ken Barnes mentioned in a thread about Upshall pipes ... white crayons!

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Those turned out beautifully, Don. I really like the idea of the minimally invasive refurbish - keeping the patina, not removing a lot of material, etc. I'm just getting started with my skills, but that's the direction I want to go. It drives me nuts when people just go at them with a buffing wheel and overdo the wax. Great tip about the dental tools and ear picks. I've been using the pick from an old nutcracker set for that, but I could see the mirror coming in handy. Thanks for the post! Good inspiration for upping my game.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
You all are very welcome and thank you for the kind words.

Here are a few of the seller's images, for befores...
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Don

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seconds indeed. But I'm glad the pipe makers thought so at the time. Couldn't ask for better, nor better restoration.

Status
Not open for further replies.