PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
After receiving a Cuisinart ice cream maker as a gift, our family has begun a Friday night ice cream tradition. I have been very impressed with how easy it is to make spectacular ice cream with the most simple ingredients.

Here's a list of flavors we've done.

Coffee, using espresso crystals, was delish.

Strawberry, using freezer jam, was fantastic.

Blueberry with ground cinnamon. Picked at the peak of ripeness this last summer, the quality of the berry made this phenomenal. The addition of cinnamon compliments the blueberries with a wonderful warmth. My fav so far.

Candy canes ground in the coffee grinder and a dash peppermint oil was perfect for Christmas.

Root Beer with vanilla was last week. Kids loved it and it satiated my root beer float craving.

Tonight it's Lemon Creme. Lemon extract and the zest of one lemon. It's processing now. We'll see how it turns out.

Going to try to reproduce a ginger ice cream we had in British Columbia sometime soon. That was an interesting one. Would love to get a recipe figured out for that one.
Just thought I'd share what we've been enjoying lately. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I just happen to be an ice-cream junkie, so please keep that thing and all the tempting flavors away from me!
Congratulations on the very creative recipies.
See you at weightwatchers!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sounds great!
I remember sitting on the back porch of the farmhouse, in summer, taking turns

cranking the hand cranked ice cream maker with my brother. Banana ice cream was a favorite

and it always tastes better when you have to work for it! lol

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Ingredients
4 large egg yolks

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup coarsely grated peeled fresh gingerroot

2 tablespoons water

2 cups half-and-half

1 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup crystallized ginger*
*available at some supermarkets and specialty foods shops.
Preparation
In a large bowl lightly whisk yolks. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan cook sugar, fresh gingerroot, and water over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add half-and-half and bring to a simmer. Add hot half-and-half mixture to yolks in a slow stream, whisking, and pour into pan. Cook custard over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer registers 170°F. (Do not let boil.)
Pour custard through a sieve into cleaned bowl and stir in cream and vanilla. Cool custard. Chill custard, its surface covered with plastic wrap, until cold, at least 3 hours, and up to 1 day.
Finely chop crystallized ginger. Freeze custard in an ice-cream maker, adding crystallized ginger three fourths of way through freezing process. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden. Ice cream may be made 1 week ahead.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Awesome kcghost! Gonna give that one a try this weekend.
Dottie-We're limiting ourselves to half batches to avoid the weight watchers trip. With my wife and I and the four kidlets, we get about a half a cup each. That and using xylitol instead of sugar makes us feel like its a bit less unhealthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.