PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Get a couple cobs and a sampler like this:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/77378/king-of-the-dunhill-sampler/#p-137514
Dunhill blends are a great place to start: easy to light and burn, generally not too intense, and a good introduction to the ingredients used in English blends.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
That's actually a pretty neat idea. Nightcap and 965 were a big part of my initial interest in pipes. I didn't really start seriously getting into the hobby until I discovered these blends, and they are still my favorites. My only suggestion would be to add a tin of Early Morning Pipe, since I would think new smokers may find it attractive.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I've got to try that one. How similar is it to Presbyterian?
Also, I have to agree on 965 and Nightcap!

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Deathmetal: Unfortunately, I haven't tried Presbyterian, so I can't directly answer your question. To describe EMP, it's an oriental-forward English blend. The Latakia is so far in the background some people can't even taste it. To me, it's just present enough to let me know I'm smoking an English. It's a very mellow blend, and in my rotation it takes on the role that VAs or VA/Pers do in others', since I'm not a fan of those varieties but sometimes want a lighter blend in hot weather.

And to echo your statement, if there were a package that simply offered Nightcap, 965, and EMP, I could basically survive on that and the occasional tin of Squadron Leader.

Also, smoking 965 as I type. I always have this and Nightcap on hand, even if I'm lacking the other few blends that I regularly buy and smoke.

feloniousmonk

Lurker
Dec 28, 2015
Upstate NY
Erich: How is the room-note on your suggestions? Too cold to go outside, but if it smells nice to "civilians" I'll test drive it in the laundry room.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
To describe EMP, it's an oriental-forward English blend.
Sounds good so far. Latakia is so dominant that other flavors take a background role, and sometimes, that's not what is needed!

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Deathmetal: It fills a pretty specific niche. I've never had anything quite like it, but then I haven't tried all that many tobaccos, at least by the standards of this group.

Felonious: Again, I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer that question. I happen to have a family and a fiance who all either love the smell of English blends or at least don't mind them. My advice: Don't smoke Squadron Leader inside. It's an English blend with a bit of Lakeland style casing. Worst of both worlds for pissing off the civillians-I haven't even gone that far. Nightcap is both latakia and Perique forward, so again, not the best indoor choice depending on the opinions of your cohabitors. 965 is latakia forward with a good dose of cavendish, so it may work. EMP would be your best bet for smoking an English blend indoors and avoiding a civil altercation. To non-pipe-smokers, EMP may well smell like spice, or even incense. It's definitely not an aromatic, but those who share your home will probably appreciate it more than the others. Though they are all fantastic blends every bit worth trying.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I am not sure if 965 or NC would be a good place for a beginner to start. They are both quite intense and IMHO can be a little overwhelming for the palate of a newbie. EMP would be a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.