PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I am experiencing extreme cases of FOMO (fear of missing out). With all these new tobaccos being introduced to market right now, I cannot help but take notice. Unfortunately, I have some very pressing expenses keeping me from any unwarranted purchases, new tobacco falling into the unwarranted purchase category. With the release of 2 new GL Pease blends and both the 2016 and 2017 Christmas Cheer, combined with the pending Tobaccopocalypses, I have been struggling with temptation.
I have no need for any of these tobaccos at the present moment as I am sitting on top of a full cellar. I also do not need the additional monetary expenditures. Nonetheless, these new blends are calling my name, and the possibility of them disappearing from the market entirely in the very foreseeable future, is adding to my anxiety. The responsible voice inside my head tells me not to worry, that deciding not to make these purchases will not develop into a life long feeling of regret. However, the voice of reason tells me that I only live once, and I can always make more money. I may not be able to find more Christmas Cheer though.
What is this poor pipe smoker to do? Should I listen to the responsible side, knowing my money can be put towards better things, but risking missing out on a last chance opportunity? Or, do I listen to the reasonable side and commit to a couple of unnecessary, but highly sought after purchases?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The old me would listen to the reasonable side, but the new me would listen to the responsible side. My logic is based on the old me not having much in the cellar, while the new me has plenty of tobacco in the cellar.

Jun 27, 2016
The prospect of possibly buying a bunch of re-packaged bulk leads me to not care about most of the "new" stuff coming out.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
In retrospect, I always regret buying based on missing out--not just in regards to tobacco, but in general. It seems like a poor motivator, though many would disagree with me.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Do you think of yourself as responsible or irresponsible? Spendthrift or financially savvy? The answers will solve your conflict.
I am very financially responsible, that is why I am having this struggle, because my want is starting to overpower my need.
In retrospect, I always regret buying based on missing out--not just in regards to tobacco, but in general. It seems like a poor motivator, though many would disagree with me.
I tend to fully agree with this statement.
I can't believe it, you guys are actually pushing me to the responsible decision.

Thank you, this is what I needed :rofl:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I was starting to have FOMO, so I finally inventoried every thing in my cellar. I no longer have FOMO. Now I have DGAF.....
But without FOMO I wouldn't have been motivated to inventory. So there's that.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Yeah, I know generally the advice here is, "Buy, buy, buy!" but the difference here is when you are motivated to buy something you wouldn't normally have an interest in, you're likely being pushed in the wrong direction.
If one of your favorite blends was post 2007, I'd say go wild buying it up. Or if you'd had your eye on a post-'07 for a while but had never pulled the trigger, go for it. But just buying blends that you would otherwise have little interest in because of a fear of missing out probably isn't the best route.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I think all of you should buy as much tobacco as you can in the coming months. That way you have no money to bid on pipes on the bay. I promise I'll post pictures of the wonderful deals I find.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
My active rotation, that is, my current favorites, is rather large -- about 12 blends. I think every one of them was discovered in FOMO! I'm so glad I value exploration over sensibility. This is the nature of pastimes and obsessions. If I was always rational I'd still be single! :rofl:
I just ordered several of the new limited RO Series of blends from the Golden Triangle and I can hardly wait to try them.
You can always find a way to finance the things that won't go away; but for some limited edition blends there is no indefinite future. You must act on it, or walk away and forever imagine what you have missed.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This tobacco apocalypse has come at a very convenient time for me. I just paid off all debt and I've got a lot of extra money to spend. I'm very lucky. I hunkered down for years and money was extremely tight for quite awhile so I am rewarding myself. Of course, it's very expensive and unless you're extremely wealthy I don't think many folks will be able to get all there is to be had out there. The market is saturated. I think if I were in your shoes, I would be staying as far away from these forums as possible.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Stay strong Northernneil. It's easy to say no to temptation.
We wants it. We needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us. Sneaky little Hobbitses. Wicked. Tricksy. False.

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
I am in a similar situation northernneil. My budget is tight due to some unfortunate life events. Very happy for those on the boards that can buy large quantities.
Each of us has to play the cards we are dealt and be satisfied with what we can do.
Good on you for doing the right thing. It be very hard sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.