PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
My favourite tobacco by far is Peterson's Irish Flake. I've tried it Folded & stuffed and tried it rubbed out. Something gets lost to me in the rubbing out. The flavour changes and mellows out somehow and it loses its character. Lately I've been consistent at smoking my blends with fewer relights and to white ashes without dropping the ash at all and was wondering how to get a flake to smoke like this without rubbing it out. When I fold and stuff flakes they expand and cling to the wall of the chamber. Its always a battle with my tamper to release whats hanging onto the wall and its a bit of a mess smoke (although it tastes great!). It doesn't burn evenly too (maybe I'm doing it wrong?).
Suddenly today I decided to play a bit with an approach that I pieced together from reading different posts here (not related, but sparked my imagination somehow!). I cut a 1/3 of the flake and rubbed it out. Created a bed of finely rubbed flake at the bottom of the chamber, folded the remaining 2/3 and stuffed it as usual, then added a layer of finely rubbed on the top in hopes it would be an even burning catalyst for the folded stuff below, allowing it be more evenly lit.
To my surprise the experiment worked very well! the bowl smoked with the flavour I'm used to by stuffing and folding, yet burned evenly to ash till the bottom with a few easy relights and without clinging to the walls of the chamber!
Was wondering if other have similar and more creative ways. I also hope this approach can be useful if it hasn't been tried before :D.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's the first time I ever heard of your hybrid preparation. Sounds interesting.

Two other things you might want to try:
  • (1) fold as usual, but loosen it up a bit by crushing or scuffing the wad before inserting

(2) cube cutting -- use scissors to cut across the grain, one-eight of an inch or so, down the length of the flake
Here's a PM.com article on flake prep with videos.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I think there is another thread on this topic somewhere or other which covers every permatation short of putting a stamp on a flake and mailing it directly to your pipe bowl!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
A full flake is a little to big for my small pipes so I normally will cut a flake of Capstan (my favorite) in half. I'll fold and stuff the half flake and then I will top up the bowl with some 5100 red cake to give me a nice lighting base.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I prefer fold and stuff with a small air pocket in the bottom. Perfect draw and lasts a long time. Got some Dunhill Flake in a Sasieni Made "Ivory" bent bull.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think the main concern in the OP was that the stuffed flake seems to adhere to the wall of the chamber.

To me, it seems that the folded flake is burning down the center, and not evenly across the top of the bowl.
Now, when that happens, I have found that tamping down a folded and stuffed flake is not particularly easy to do

without over-compressing the remaining tobacco, or just messing up the draw ( = dump and start over).

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I'm fairly new to smoking plug and flake tobacco but so far I have found I get a better smoking experience when I rub the tobacco out. Better in that I have less relights, and tamping and less fiddling with my pipe which becomes a nuisance quickly. I've had mixed results with the cube cut method. I still go with fold and stuff first when trying a new blend and if the results aren't favourable I will rub it out from then on. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Glad to hear you found something that works for you. I have found that cube cutting with fairly large cubes works well for me. I think my cubes are about a 1/3 of an inch large or maybe larger and I get a cool flavorful smoke without having to deal with playing around with the fold and stuff while it is burning. I hear you about bringing in the tobacco from the sides, it has to be done carefully or it can mess up your smoke.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Atskywalker, that is the method that I use as well.
I started a thread last year that was pretty well received which was called the Z fold method
I think making the bed with the third of the flake does two things. First, it gives you some baccy at the bottom of the bowl. Second, it makes the flake a tad thinner which makes this method work like a charm.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Cortez. Exactly.
Yazamitaz. Its great to hear that other more experienced smokers did at some point reach the same conclusion. I'm honoured :D.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Yazamitaz, Just watched the video. I'll try it tonight to see if it replaces the top kindling and the lower bed for me. I'm lazy by nature so if this works as well as my new method I'll certainly adapt :).
My rational for the this method was:

1 - create a bed of loose tobacco at the bottom to facilitate better burning at the end and not end up with a solid lump that I have to scrape.

2 - create a top layer of fine kindling to facilitate even burning when it comes in contact with the folded portion making it less likely to cling to the walls of the pipe.
I'd like if some would try it and give me feedback. Maybe its a brand new method thats waiting to see the light and is being born here in the forum (grin!).

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I totally agree with you. I use the video for more of the middle part, but like the bed and kindling process that you speak of. I started doing that maybe a month after I watched the video. My feedback to you is that is works great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.