Flea Markets are a Bust This Year; But Just Maybe...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Scottie Piersel Pipes
New Accessories
12 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
18 Fresh Ropp Pipes
2 Fresh Il Duca Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
No luck at all this year at Flea Markets or Antique Shops. Sure, there are quite a few run of the mill pipes to be had, Grabows, Medico's, etc., but nothing that I want to add to the collection. However, today, while visiting the "Big Red Barn", yes, that is what it is called (you can actually Google it and find it here in Annap. Valley, Nova Scotia). I was chatting with the Owner and he told me that They(prop people for television movies), took 3 loads of STUFF last week to Halifax for props in a Movie they are making, dating in middle to late 1800's. Walking sticks, hats, and, yes indeed--- Pipes. He described the pipes as very old and several were the large curved ones, like Sherlock Holmes. Yippie, he is going to give me a call when these PROPS return in about 5 weeks. Needless to say, I am syked.
In the mean time, his Sister informed me, that she has 5-6 old pipes from a Relative, one of which is in a leather case and another is a Cob, but best of all, one is a "large curved pipe with a big bowl. It is golden brown in color and has a whitish liner inside it". To me, her description of this could easily be another Calabash. She is going to gather them up this week and take em to the Barn for me to see next weekend. Fingers are crossed for a Dunny or Kaywoodie Calabash or something similar.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
First off, good luck on those Fisher. I've had a bad year at garage sales and flea markets, but the hunt makes it fun.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Nsfisher: Good luck.
There is always the chance that you will run across a jewel. I found a Four Dot (spelled out) Sasieni (script) Walnut London Made 191S in an antique shop a couple of years ago for $40. Didn't quibble a bit. Bought it on the spot.
Smokes like a charm!

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
You always get all the good stuff. Being the Southern United States, most of the time, antique stores and flea markets are just fancy terms for junk sale. Not much quality antique stuff and if there is it is very high priced.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good luck nsfisher - you really have a knack for finding unique sources for pipes - very impressed. Hope you find another Dunhill!

Status
Not open for further replies.