PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
As a relative noob pipe smoker, I'd never tried flake before a couple of weeks ago. I bought a tin of SG Navy Flake at the local B&M. If we compare this to a boxing match, SG had me down and out about 37 seconds into the first round.
Based on advice here, I decided to try a different brand of flake and grabbed a tin of Solani Virginia Flake, blend 633. Completely different in appearance, texture and every other way to the SG (the SG is more like what I've come to find out is called "broken flake").
Armed with a little knowledge from these forums and from YouTube I peeled one of the flakes out of the tin. I trimmed about 1/4" off the flake long wise and folded and stuffed the remaining, large piece. Then I rubbed out the sliver I'd trimmed off and sprinkled it into the bowl too to help serve as kindling and fired up.
What a difference! It was a little hard to get burning, but once lit it stayed lit for a good length of time. Well, for me it was a good length. I clearly don't have this technique down yet, I had to relight maybe 7 or 8 times, but I was able to smoke that bowl for close to 2 hours, which amazed me. That's partly due to my Nording...the chamber in this thing is bigger than anything I've ever owned before. If you packed it with kindling and some firewood it could heat a small cabin.
Anyway, very happy with the Solani, will try Mac Baren Navy for my next flake experiment I think when this tin is gone. I clearly have some learning to do still, but after the SG I was considering skipping flakes...but now I'm back on the bandwagon!

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I'm not familiar, yet since I have a tin, with the Solani but most flakes require substantial drying time out of a fresh tin or microwaving for 5-10 seconds to drive the moisture out. In general they are much more likely to play nice if dried properly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
hiero', it sounds like you have taken the next step and had a fair smoke in the second round. Keep at it, in rotation,

relaxing with loose tobacco for something less challenging. After a while, the flake won't even be an issue and you

can enjoy it as a regular thing.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Being new also, the first attempt was also a disaster. I cubed mine and that worked very well after some drying time.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For a big selection of flakes, check out SmokingPipes.com's Tobacco Locator (in the right hand column of their pages).

If you're puffing to keep the bowl lit, go with a mild flake.

If you're puffing to get more satisfaction, go with a strong flake.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I take half of it and jar it, the other half I spread out on a length of paper towel and then let it dry to my liking.
I'm new to flake tobacco as well and so far really enjoying the few I've tried. How does one know when a flake is dry enough for either stuff and fold or rubbing out? Are there any tell-tale signs one should look for? Does one method require a longer or shorter drying time than the other?

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
pipefish,
I'm certainly no expert, but I'd say if you plan on rubbing the flake, then your best bet would be to rub the flake out and let it dry in its 'rubbed out' state. It'll dry quicker that way.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I'm a big flake fan, SG Navy, SG Best Brown, Mac Baren Navy, Mac Baren Vanilla Flake, and Orlik Golden Slice are some of my favourites.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've never had much like with fold and stuff or other intact flake methods. Far too many relights. At this point I fully rub out flakes, and doing so, which is a simple matter, I smoke flake and rubbed out/ribbon tobacco at will, with no issues.
Rubbing out flake gets rid of all the issues. In such manner flake smokes similarly to non-flake, albeit somewhat more slowly.

mainman341

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
I love the flake too..Just gotta dry it proper..

Ive done both ways of loading and enjoy both. Some baccs taste better stuffed IMO.

Ive had the wettest flake imagineable and had it smoke fine for me after 24 hrs..drying.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Speaking of lengthy dry time... I've had some Gawith Full Virginia Flake in a jar that just hit the 1 year mark last week. I cracked it open yesterday and I've let 2 flakes dry since 9 a.m. 7 hours later they are still not ready. FVF takes forever in my opinion.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Right on hiero! Best way to unlock the great taste and potential of flakes is to experiment. Some really work well cubed for slower burn and others rubbed out. This summer I've been smoking burley flakes and I discovered by rubbing them out I like the way it smokes it a cob or a briar. I never had much luck with the fold and stuff unless its really windy out and that seemed to keep it lit. So I usually go cubed.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
glad you are getting into flakes. They take a bit of experimenting but they are great. I have been focusing on flakes for the past year or so and have really enjoyed them. For some reason I just love the way it looks and feels and tastes. Enjoy

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Its true.... SG flakes need a lot of time. I usually cube up a tin and let it sit out for 24 hours, then put back in the tin for a few days before attempting.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Flakes are an interesting things. Its the fold, bend and stuff routine that I find amusing. I stick to ropes, plugs and Condor RR with a wide berth given Condor flake which I think is made asbestos and literary fire proof! I just prefer to run the knife through the plug and rub the tobacco out and fire up. The last thing I need is too run through half a box of Swan Vesta matches trying to ignite the damned tobacco.

racerx

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2014
Southern California
I've had much better luck rolling flakes than folding them. The flake will try to fall apart as you roll it (if it doesn't, it's not dry enough), but I hold them together as best I can and stuff the roughly cylindrical plug into the bowl. Once it's in there, it will unravel a bit and expand to fill the bowl.
This method works great for me with every flake I've tried. Samuel Gawith flakes typically need more drying out than others.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I'll say. Drying tinned FVF for a full 24 hours is not the least bit excessive. After a ten second microwave dose drying can be cut to "only" an hour or so.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Drying tinned FVF for a full 24 hours is not the least bit excessive
You guys are insane. I buy bulk SG flakes and they are good to go in about 3 hours tops. Of course, I rub them out first.

Status
Not open for further replies.