PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

billporter

Lurker
Nov 14, 2012
I am fairly new to pipe smoking and have noticed references to "flake pipes" or pipes that are particularly good for smoking flake tobacco. I have gotten the idea that these pipes have chambers that are narrow and pretty deep. Is that what a "flake pipe" is; narrow and deep? I am guessing that if you rub out the flake, it then wouldn't make much difference what shape the chamber is. Please chime in and enlighten me about "flake pipes." Thanks!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
My best flake smoker far and away is a small dublin, but that being said my largest pipe, a bent billiard, smokes flakes and any VAs very well. I'd say try out flakes in different bowls and see what works well for you.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
One added note, a conical bowl does need more diligence regarding the cake if you tend to let it be to the point of having to ream it, because the shape of the bowl makes reaming a bit more challenging and easier to screw up.

A Buttner-style reamer makes it a lot easier to maintain conical chambers.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=84690

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
A bulldog/rhodesian shape also makes a good flake pipe. I like to cube cut my flakes so really any pipe with chamber dimensions around .75" or less by 1.00- 1.5" deep works well for me.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have found that for me a group 3 or 4 size pot is the best for smoking Virginia flakes. I like when you have a large area for matches or lighter since it is easier to light your pipe initially and upon relights. Also, it is easier with a pot to lightly top the tobacco and remove the ashes throughout the smoke so that the tobacco can be smoked to the bottom of the bowl.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have more Dublins in my collection than any other shape, but I do have a good number of Apples, Billiards and Lovats and enjoy my flakes in those shapes also. I smoke mostly group 4-5 sized pipes with a few small 6's mixed in. There are times when I want a big bowl of a certain flake and I can get a good 2 hours plus out of my 6's. I would not fold and stuff a flake in a large bowl but cube cutting the flakes works fine in them for me when the mood strikes.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Wow. I have never before heard someone come out and say that a small bowl is best suited for flakes. Personally, I can't imagine why. I prefer a larger bowl for all of my flakes, since I think the space gives the room required for a broken or partially rubbed out flake (which is how I prefer to handle them). Virtually every one of the pipes that I have dedicated to Virginias and VA/burleys (which are the categories in which the majority of my flakes fall) are larger Group 4 bowls, with straight sides.
For me, what's more critical is that the pipes either be straight or, if bent, allow a pipe cleaner to pass effortlessly into the bowl. That way, if I'm smoking a particularly sweet Virginia -- which, for me, tends to mean a bit more moisture -- then I can easily run a pipe cleaner through during the smoke.
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Bob, there are people who feel that smaller pipes are better suited to flakes because they fold and stuff them. I personally have experienced that when I fold and stuff, the flakes smoke better in group 3-4 pipes. I have tried folding and stuffing in larger pipes like group 5-6 and it is just too long a smoke for me. It can take 3 hours plus in a 6 to finish a bowl and the flavors tend to get bitter towards the end where as when I cube cut, the flavors keep getting better at the end. Since I began cube cutting and do not fold and stuff any more, I have been able to enjoy larger pipes. Now if you are rubbing out the flakes then it does not matter what size I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.