PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
After my last post I figured it would be appropriate to open a new topic. This is a favourite method of mine for packing flakes. Anyone else have a nifty way of packing flakes?
step 1.) If flakes are broad sliced like Solani 633, cut flake to the size of slightly less than 2ce the height of your tobacco chamber.
Step 2.) Fold the flake lenth wise.
Step 3.) Roll the flake up like a sleeping bag that is slightly less than the diameter of your tobacco chamber.
Step 4.) Stuff your newly rolled plug of tobacco into your pipe leaving a fair amount of room below it and above it, place some dust on top to aid ignition, char, sit back, enjoy an hour or longer smoke.
I love to smoke big va flakes very slowly with this method...I get so much deep rich caramelized sugar and sweet spice from my vas like this.

flakepackingpic.jpg

[Edit: Pstlpkr]

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
After years of fold & stuff, then roll & stuff, I've got to where I keep it simple...

Now I just stuff the flake into the bowl. As I prefer blends on the dry side, this

has worked well for me.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I like to use a smooth saucer on to which I carefully break up the flake or coin until it's the texture of Carter Hall (small consistent pieces).

It takes time to prepare one bowl's worth. But, that time translates into greater attention to packing and in turn the proper lighting and smoking. I somehow seem to pay more attention to the flavor as well, and all other distractions and concerns fall by the wayside.

An all-round pleasant experience.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
@ohin3
Canada Phil, that's a great tip. I would never have thought to fold-roll-and-stuff a flake. I'm gonna try it ASAP. You should add this post as a comment to Bob Tate's (python) excellent tutorial on the various Flake Pipe Tobacco Preparation , so it doesn't evaporate with this thread.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I roll it between my palms until it reaches the desired texture in relationship to the pipe in hand . fill pipe enjoy . I also will use cigar scissors cutting it into toothpick size pieces .

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I use the fold and stuff method. Its probably just one of those things that I figured out how to pack it right to stay lit and now I don't want to mess around with any other method. I'll try out the roll and stuff method next bowl of flake I have.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I use the fold and stuff method. Its probably just one of those things that I figured out how to pack it right to stay lit and now I don't want to mess around with any other method. I'll try out the roll and stuff method next bowl of flake I have.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Yeah, that sleeping bag tech. is cool. Never tied that. I used to rub mine out, then I started the fold and stuff. I think the rubbed out method does seem to smoke slower.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I don't always use that method, but when I do, I can get an hour and a half out of a Dunhill group 3. I load my bowl with an air pocket beneath the plug of tobacco too so I really get a lot of mileage from a very small amount of tobacco. I first started packing this way years ago with Dunhill Light Flake (Oh how I miss thee)and was shocked at how different the smoking experience was. Seems to work good with any va really, but I tend to like it with dark va flakes.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
It depends upon the tobacco. I rub out Universuty Flake but roll FVF. Irish Flake gets folded and stuffed.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
You're right Chuck, it does depend on the tobacco. And I roll FVF as well...burns for friggin' hours and is excellent as DGT. I haven't tried University Flake. Isn't there a topping or casing involved with UF? I would love to find a pretty smelling tobacco that satisfied my need for Va as well. I just can't seem to get on board with cavendish or burley heavy blends either aromatic or nonaromatic. I was on a Lakeland flake kick for a while but they can be a bit much at times and you have to dedicate pipes to them because they REALLY ghost a pipe. Think I am going to give a few of the Peterson aromatics a try.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Great topic ohin3. Thanks for starting it and providing all the great info.
In case you guys haven't seen it, Bob did a great article with several videos demonstrating flake packing methods.
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-smoking/flake-pipe-tobacco-preparation/

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks for sharing this technique Ohin!
It is kind of like the Roll and Stuff Method that I explained in my article except your way adds a fold to it. I will have to give it a try soon.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I just find that if i make the plug shorter and leave a good pocket of air beneath it, it tends to smoke cool, even, and for a rather long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.