PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I have a Dunhill pipe that is in one of my favorite shapes and finishes but it has really been a disappointment as a smoker. In fact its my only bad smoking Dunhillo I've been afraid of doing anything to it because it has some sentimental value as my first "expensive" pipe. After 25 years of rarely smoking it because it smokes very wet and hot I decided to open it up. I went to about 4.5mm and v'd out the button slightly. What a night and day difference! Its like a whole new pipe. I'm nearly done with a bowl of Germain's Special Latakia Flake and Krumble Kake mixed 60/40 and the flake is extremely moist and the pipe is barely warmer than room temperature and not so much as a gurgle. Why didn't I do this 25 years ago?

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I've never had much luck with Dunhill but I'm glad you got that pipe up to your satisfaction.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
That is something that Rick Newcombe espouses in his book, "Pipe Dreams", to open up the airhole.
I know, unfortunately he espouses it about every other page or so. An otherwise fine book. I'm not a fan of doing it very often but in this case it was just the ticket.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I know, unfortunately he espouses it about every other page or so. An otherwise fine book. I'm not a fan of doing it very often but in this case it was just the ticket.
I agree. Working on opening up a Pipe's draft is something that gets done on as

needed basis for me as well. Most Carvers know a thing or two about drafting a

Pipe, and most of us don't think about it unless it doesn't work. Rick is a bit

over the top on this matter. My preference is a more conservative approach, as

too open a draft can be too much of a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.