PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
I have broken into the tobacco ageing stock to see how things are going. Here are some impressions. Nightcap, 4 years old: much better than before ageing. Mellower and smoother. Could use a few more years. Robert McConnell Scottish Cake: A vaper, aged 3 years. Very nice. Has some kind of flavoring, but smokes easily and well. Good for pipes that do not have a stain taste, so you may taste the subtlety of the tobacco. McClelland's 3 Oaks, Syrian, 6 years old: Much improved. Was harsh and crude tasting, now almost ready to smoke. Will give it a few more years. McClelland's St. James Woods: A vaper, 8 years old. Too subtle and needs to be rubbed. Excellent with some of the Syrian Latakia mixed in. And my regular smoke, McClelland's Bombay Court, now 7 years old:wonderful, very subtle, has more Oriental than Lat. Difficult to light and keep lit, but my favorite smoke.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds pretty good foggy...also sounds like you are a very patient man. :puffy:

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
What about the 3 Oaks Syrian did you find harsh and crude tasting? I bought six tins last summer and haven't tried any yet, so I'm quite curious.
I've never tried Bombay Court, but I recall seeing a picture of yours that had rows upon rows of it on shelves. I'll have to add a tin or two to my next order and let it camp out for a while in the cellar.
Have you ever had any blends that worsened with age?

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I've never tried Bombay Court, but I recall seeing a picture of yours that had rows upon rows of it on shelves.
I saw that picture, too, so when I came across a stack of Bombay Court tins at a B&M that had been aging on the shelf since 2009, I snapped up a couple. I've been enjoying it immensely, so thanks to you, foggymountain, for that! I'll have to go back and clean out that B&M's stock.

Aug 14, 2012
Dublinesque: 2009 Bombay Court is a rare treat.

Beezer: The St. James Woods is not as good as a few years ago. Luckily I only have a few cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.