Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasethorn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
So getting in to the hobby, I noticed an overwhelming amount of tobaccos to choose from! I want some recommendations. What I am looking for is more sweet and less nicotine. No tongue bite, and that it burns cool and long. I think I would enjoy Virginia's more than an English or aromatic blend. What are some good started Virgina's that may be available on pipesandcigars? I have seen that Orlik Golden Slice might be good, is that something I may like going off of my taste wants? Anything is welcome and advice is more than welcome to this noob!

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
OGS doesn't do it for me. I like a richer creamier non hay like taste. To each his own though. For a tin ready smoke with rich and creamy flavor, I would recommend this. Cheap and readily available:
C4E91751-8B9C-4D9C-A22D-C3B073880BA5-6163-0000060CF0E27049_zpsa13e7497.jpg

chasethorn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
Thanks Rothnh! and Thank you gwtwdbss! I will try both. Gotta try it at least once! So I think I may make an order soon for some nice blends. I also came across Mississippi River. I think I'll have to give that a try as well!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
University Flake has a nice taste but it is not low in nicotine. It's a Virginia/burley, and burley is higher in nic. Not saying don't try it, just a heads up.

I would second the Dunhill, which I enjoy. I enjoy Sam Gawith Best Brown Flake, as well. Good luck with your explorations.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
OGS is truly a LIGHT Virginia IMO. I know there's some propaganda about Perique being in there but I never noticed it.
I also have the palette equivalent to a deer after licking a whole salt lick....
If you get into Virginias you may want to start looking at Virginias with Perique and Cavendish. There are some great blends out there. PS LBF, PS LNF, Mac Baren Club Blend, Escudo, Rattray Marlin Flake....
I'm also a bad judge of nic content, too many years of Cowboy Killers and Kodiak I guess.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I just had my first Virginia, Dunhill Flake. It was simply wonderful. Also about to try OGS. Glad somebody else is breaking their way into the world of Virginia's.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I tried McClleland Black Shag the other day, straight virginia and it was apleasant smoke. Going to have another bowl shortly to see if my opinions the same.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but McClelland has many fine flakes and they're low on the N scale.

Jul 12, 2011
Flakes will smoke long/ smooth and cool for ya, give'em a cube

cut when starting out as it is much easier to manage before trying

a fold/stuff packing method...
Also watch your smoking style, puffing Vs too aggressively will

bite you like a rabid dog ;-) learned from experience with MC Vs (

outstanding V quality bacci but to be respected as all bacci should

be )
Start out also trying new blends to you in small pipes so you can

guage the Nic levels
All great advice in this thread...enjoy your pipe smoking journey &

may it never end
Btw; that pile of Peterson UF tins had me drooling all over myself ;-)

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Anniversary Kake from Hearth & Home is truly a delight. Not to downplay AJ's VaPer, also by H&H. Both have made their way to the top of my Virginia list. Neither are flakes, but both are delicious, solid smokes.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
OH!!! Also Mississippi River by Seattle Pipe Club is outstanding, as is VR Blend by Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club.
Mississippi River isn't really a normal VA blend though.. It's got a touch of latakia (juuuuust a touch. Barely there, subtle) and some orientals, apparently. Everything plays support to the top notch VA in this though. It's pretty much pipe candy.

chasethorn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
Thanks everyone! I will try all of the suggested tobaccos! I have a good list going and I just discovered I have a very well supplied tobacconist down the road from my house. They have everything I could wont according to their site! Excited to go in and check it out!

chasethorn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
I think this is funny. I just kind of compared choosing a tobacco over choosing a coffee for my Keurig coffee maker. Very similar I believe, as they both have almost an endless variety of flavors and blends!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I am fairly new VA smoker and the ones I liked the best were PS lBF and OGS. Retried some Haddos Delight and it was good..I don't recommend it for a beginner especially if you don't want high nic.

chasethorn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
I agree Rothnh! They are very expensive, that is why I got the coffee filter insert where you can put regular coffee grounds in it.
And I most definitely will pick up some OGS and some other flakes. I think the shop near by will have some samples I'm sure they would let me try.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
Astleys 109. It'll change your life. A very mild Virginia. Will not bite, not too much nic, sweet and delicious

Status
Not open for further replies.