PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'm smoking my first bowl if G.L. Pease Westminster in a Brigham 2-dot rusticated billiard. I received this blend in August, and I immediately opened it, jarred it, and waited for cooler weather.
First impressions....it's okay. I think it might be too "middle of the road" for me. Perhaps my palette is not well developed, as I find I seem to enjoy obvious flavors more.
I enjoy the intense sweetness of Virginia, and occasionally the smoky flavor of a good Lat blend, like 965. This blend doesn't stray enough toward one side of sweet, smokey, spicey, or nutty to "move" me.
I'll give it more chances, but I think this may be a blend that I need more experience to truly appreciate.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
A few years back, Dunhill tobaccos became unavailable here in the States. At that time, MM965 was one of my favorites. Searching for a replacement, I discovered Westminster. It moved to the "big jar", and has remained one of my primary blends ever since. I see it as an ideal example of the standard of traditional English blends. If you have limited experience with them, I can understand how this might not be a quick favorite. If, on the other hand, you do have an extensive experience, then our tastes differ, and you are welcome to send me whatever you have left of this great (IMHO) tobacco. :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a tin of G.L.Pease Westminster mellowing unopened in my drop-front pipe rack compartment. My

current go-to English blends are 965, Nat Sherman 536, and Altadis Fox and Hound. Fox and Hound is

definitely the most subdued of these, but a nice alternative and rotation because of that. Though the 536

is also particularly refined but still Lat forward. You might try your Westminster as a morning smoke, or

when you want a long smoke that is more low key. I feel that robust blends are best set off by rotating them

with milder blends. I like spicy food, but not every meal. Now and then, a straight up scotch or bourbon, but

not every drink. You might find Westminster pleases you more over time.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
GLP Westminster is a deliberately old fashioned "English".
I love the stuff as it reminds me of another age. If I were you, I would give it more time. But if it truly does not work for you, then you may want to sample some other English or Balkans of his such as Charing Cross or Kensington, to name but a few.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Sitting here with a bowl of MM965 as I read the forums. Had Westminster night before last, and Lagonda last night. I enjoy a rotation, as perhaps you might. Find what you like, keep it in the rotation, but venture out from time to time to explore the wide universe of tobaccos, with, in my case, an emphasis on English/Latikia blends. Happy puffing!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
GLP's Westminster in one of my go-to smokes. I have about a dozen pounds of it. Granted a lot of Lat blends are an acquired taste, but Westminster for me ranks near the top of an "all day" English, along with Star of the East, and Dunhill's London Mixture. A lot of blends will grow on you. The first bowl(s) may not hit it out of the park, but somewheres near the bottom of a tin, if the stars are right and it was meant to be, why you'll end up wondering how you could live without it.
IMAG01251.jpg

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
In fairness, I'm mostly a Virginia guy, and dabble occasionally into Lats as a change of pace, so, most Lats probably won't change my life. I guess there just want much to it for me, but maybe I won't get rid of it yet :)

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I smoked GLP Westminster for a long time. It became too uninteresting to me eventually so I tried both Dunhill's London Mixture and S. Gawith's Squadron Leader and I find these two blends are more satisfying to me then Westminster.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Tarak, have you tried G. L. Pease Union Square? It's a quite tasty all Virginia - it is straight, pure Virginia tobaccos with no topping or added flavors in a broken flake. It is one of my favorite Virginia tobaccos.
I'm a Latakia lover, and Westminster is one of my favorites as well. My tastes are quite eclectic.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
@Kevin, no I haven't, but maybe the next TAD :)
Even if Westminster isn't my thing, I'm sure there is a Pease blend out there for me. He is amazing. I also have some Jackknife plug getting happy in a jar...

Status
Not open for further replies.