PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Got one each of these with a larger order. Never smoked any of them previously.
The MB Amphora was first and quickly was last. If you like cardboard that your pet peed on sliced up and stuffed in a pipe, this blend is for you. To be fair, this wasn't a nasty, evil tasting concoction. It was simply dry and very bland. Very disappointed. To be fair to this blend, I smoke more VA's than anything else and it is being compared to SG FVF, BBF, F&T CVP, Capstan Yellow and Blue and other Virginias of similar caliber. It does not fare well in that company.
Next was Racing Green. No idea why they gave the blend this name. This blend has a fair amount of strength and a nice spicy flavor. The Burley is evident. Nic hit is more towards medium than mild. Has some flavoring but that compliments rather than overwhelms. If you like Virginias but want something a bit stronger and spicier, this may be a good choice for you to try. The moisture level was perfect out of the can, lit easily and burnt nicely.
The HH Arcadian Perique was a bit more perique forward than I normally prefer. And it was more the pepper spiced flavor than sweet hot spicy perique. However, that settle down considerably 1/4 of the way through the bowl and was quite pleasant. I'll be smoking some more bowls of it to determine if I want to keep a few tins around. I got more of the Kentucky, Perique and Burley flavors. Didn't detect much of the Oriental until the second half of the bowl and it was rather faint at best. Pretty good nicotine hit out of this blend.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Amphora-got more taste by drying it out completely and packing lightly
Orlik-haven't smoked that
Acadian Perique-regularly smoke Virginia blends myself, and this one fairs better with a lighter pack as well to help mellow it and allow it to breath better

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
[/quote]Amphora-got more taste by drying it out completely and packing lightly
It was quite dry right out of the pouch. For me at least, it would be a challenge for there to be less taste. Aside from goopers, I have a fairly wide range of tobaccos I like. I like a LOT of MB blends. This one simply wasn't one of them. Different horses for different courses.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It was quite dry right out of the pouch.
Considering some of Amphora's recent fare, that's lucky. I like a lot of MB's stuff as well, but a couple just rub me the wrong way. Great reviews btw.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
To be honest, I like my Orlik Golden Slice better than the Amphora or Mc Baren Virginia flakes, then we have this Racing green, just finished a pouch of this and would not buy it more, medium strength virginia&burley blend with obvious topping, perhaps it was some fruit and liquorice essence,

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Amphora Original - I really enjoyed it. Found it to be pretty similar to Orlik Golden Sliced. I broke it up a bit more before loading it and did kind of an air pocket method with it. It burned really slow cool and for a long time. The flavors slowly evolved throughout the bowl. Started out with the grassy hay citrus notes that morphed into the yeasty notes which became bready on the retrohale. As the bowl progressed I got some of those dark fruit notes. Towards the end they all seemed to play off one another. For me it was a very enjoyable blend. I picked up three pouches initially. Enjoyed one of them and put the other two in a mason jar for aging.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I really enjoy the standard Amphora (red), I then decided to try the recently released Amphora Virginia (yellow) and I cannot for the life of me get any real flavor out of it.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I love HH ODF and Latakia Flake, however, I just could not come to a point where I would consider ordering the Acadian again. It was fine tobacco and appeared to be quality leaf, however, it never agreed with me like the other two.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I don't like Perique, I don't like Burley, and I'm not a fan of strong nicotine. But for some reason I loved Acadian Perique! Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.