aro222

Login to Send PM

Hey guys I’ve recently got a new pipe
    Now normally as soon as a new pipe arrives on my door step
    I’m ripping into the box and I’ve got it packed and
    Tamped and ready for a match before I can blink
    However this time ... for whatever reason ... I’ve held off
    This particular pipe is the savinelli Leonardo davinci collection
    It is the most expensive pipe in my collection as of yet (not like it’s 1000.00 dollars or anything)but still higher than what I currently own
    And perhaps that is why? Not sure
    I feel like I’m waiting for that perfect time to fire her up
    Has anyone experienced this or am I just being stupid ? Haha

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Pack it and smoke it, or you're going to give the pipe a complex.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Fine looking smoker. I would definitely kick back and enjoy it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe!

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd fire it up. It's not like a cigar that is gone once you smoke it, and pipes get better after they a properly broken in. Then on that special occasion you'll have a great pipe and you can some some special tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe!
    There's nothing wrong with waiting for that special moment, or you may even decide to keep it un-smoked; nothing wrong with that either. But, I just hope that you don't build up the pipe in your mind to the point where when you do smoke it that you are disappointed.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys
    I think I’m going to take your advice and fire it up
    Why deny myself any longer
    Tonight will be a good night... woooooooo

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Awesome!! Enjoy!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Don't wait too long. An unsmoked pipe is a sad pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Hahahah
    That’s awesome
    Thanks for the chuckle captain

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I think I’m going to take your advice and fire it up"

Surely, that is why you bought it?

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe look at some of those artisan pipes and Dunhills online for hundreds of bucks, and that will bring down your over-awed reverence, and then you'll find out just how pleasing your new pipe is when you smoke it, and feel completely satisfied. Yeah, I've stalled on smoking a new pipe. That happened when I bought several pipes in close order, which I hadn't done before, and I won't do again. Better to dive right in, no matter what pipe you buy. Savinelli's are wonderful pipes to me. My wife has bought me some higher end versions, and I have some formerly unfinished ones that, one of which is decades old, and I like their new low-end Rossi pipes too. You will be well-pleased; go for it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

That’s good advice thanks mso489

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Put some Carter Hall in that pipe and start getting it broken in.
    The sooner you get a carbon layer in the pipe, the sooner you’ll be able to enjoy your favorite blends in it without that funny new pipe taste.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Has anyone experienced this or am I just being stupid ?
    Not stupid at all. I've had a few pipes that I didn't smoke right away. Sometimes they do require that special moment. Even the captain has been known to wait a while.... heck he could buy a pipe today and wait until Christmas to finally fire it up. He's done it! It gets to the point where the suspense is killing the rest of us more than it is him! Once you're ready, fire it up. And enjoy the heck out of it!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you ended up smoking the pipe. Good choice. Enjoy.

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

panamacharlie

Login to Send PM

One Christmas many moons ago my stepdaughter sent me a higher end Savinelli. Perhaps because I wasn't fond of the shape I kept it in its box in a drawer. Last year I met a fellow pipester, and gifted it to him. He says it is his favorite. Better lit in his mouth than in a drawer!

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

spugni

Login to Send PM

Wow. Beautiful pipe. You are definitely contributing to my PAD. Love the tamper too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have as many unused pipes in holding as I do in rotation. Your call.

If you need an excuse/reason to fire it up, consider the following:

March 23, 2018 – NATIONAL PUPPY DAY – NATIONAL CHIP AND DIP DAY – NATIONAL NEAR MISS DAY – NATIONAL CHIA DAY – NATIONAL MELBA TOAST DAY

NATIONAL PUPPY DAY

Observed each year on March 23rd is National Puppy Day. National Puppy Day will be celebrated on the Friday or Monday closest to March 23rd if that day falls on a weekend.

This day was created to celebrate the magic and unconditional love that puppies bring to our lives. National Puppy Day is also a day to bring awareness to the need for care of and homes for orphaned pups as well as to educate people about the horrors of puppy mills across the country.

HISTORY

National Puppy Day was founded in 2006 by Pet Lifestyle Expert, Animal Behaviorist and Author, Colleen Paige. Paige is also the founder of National Dog Day and National Cat Day.

National Chip and Dip Day - March 23

National Chip And Dip Day, an annual favorite food holiday, is observed every March 23rd. It celebrates a perfect combination loved by many across the country. Chips and dip are a popular party dish as it is not only favored by most but also quick and easy to prepare.

Just a few days earlier on March 14, we celebrate National Potato Chip Day, and now we add a partner, the dip. People have been dipping their food for centuries. Hummus-like recipes date back to the 13th century. These are some of the first “dip” recipes found.

Potato chips are not the only mode of celebrating the day. There are tortilla chips, corn chips, pretzel chips and even popcorn chips to name a few. After you have chosen your chips, there are dozens of dips to partner with them. There are a variety of dips usually made with sour cream, cheeses, salsas, and seasonings. The combinations are endless. Don’t hesitate to mix up your favorite or try something new!

HOW TO OBSERVE

Invite some family and friends over and have a chip and dip party! Enjoy one of the following recipes:

Hot Garlic Garlic Dip
    BLT Dip
    Velveeta Spicy Cheeseburger Dip
    Captain’s Seafood Crab Dip

HISTORY

Our research was unable to find the origin and the creator of National Chip and Dip Day.

NATIONAL NEAR MISS DAY

A massive asteroid (4581 Asclepius) nearly hit the earth in 1989. This day is commemorated annually on March 23 as people across the nation celebrate National Near Miss Day.

On March 22-23, 1989, a mountain-sized asteroid came within 500,000 miles of colliding with the earth. “On the cosmic scale of things, that was a close call,” said Dr. Henry Holt. Geophysicists estimate that collision with Asclepius would release energy comparable to the explosion of a 600 megaton atomic bomb. On March 31, 1989, nine days after its closest approach to Earth, the asteroid was discovered.

A collision would have had catastrophic effects on our planet.

There have been other “near misses” that have happened on an infrequent basis.

HISTORY

Our research has found the reason this day originated. However, we were unable to identify the creator of National Near Miss Day.

NATIONAL CHIA DAY

The Registrar of National Day Calendar has designated March 23rd of each year as National Chia Day. This day recognizes the tiny, yet powerful chia seed that has earned its reputation as being one of the most nutrient-rich foods on the planet. Revered by the Maya and Aztecs for their amazing healing powers and natural energy, chia seeds have become a trusted staple for people around the world and can be enjoyed in many foods and beverages!

High in Omega-3s, antioxidants, fiber and complete protein, chia seeds are neutral in flavor and can be added to virtually any recipe to boost the nutritional profile.

Nutrition Facts:

8x more Omega-3s than salmon
    25% more fiber than flaxseed
    30% more antioxidants than blueberries
    2x more potassium than bananas
    6x more calcium than milk

HOW TO OBSERVE

Add chia to your diet on this day (and every day) to enjoy the strength and vitality that these seeds bring to your life. Start your day with chia granola, power through the day with chia bars, and enjoy chia beverages anytime. Celebrate every meal by adding chia! Post on social media using #NationalChiaDay.

HISTORY

Submitted by Mamma Chia in February 2016 by the policies set forth to designate a National Observation Day, this proclamation has been certified by the Registrar at National Day Calendar.

NATIONAL MELBA TOAST DAY

March 23rd recognizes Melba Toast Day, a food holiday. Melba toast is a dry, crisp and thinly sliced toast. It is sometimes served with salad or soup or may be eaten plain or with a topping.

Melba toast was named after Dame Nellie Melba, the stage name of the Australian opera singer, Helen Porter Mitchell. The singer was quite popular with chef Auguste Escoffier of the Savoy. It is believed he created not just this “diet” toast for Ms. Melba, but a famous dessert as well.

Because Melba toast was such a firm toast, it was often given to infants as teething biscuits.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You been sniffing War Horse Bar tobacco Jay?

Regards,

Jay (this one).

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

update on the first smoke of my new sav
    WHY THE HELL DID I WAIT SO LONG !!!!
    this pipe has jumped right into 1st place tied with my 320 as my favorite pipe on my list
    i cant believe i waited to fire this baby up
    it is so comfortable in the hand and feels absolutely perfect while smoking
    bowl is large for a nice long smoke and the draw is very satisfying
    although it has a large bowl and very thick walls it is still surprisingly light weight which is always nice
    all around it has won me over and i look forward to fully breaking her in for many enjoyable smokes
    thanks for all the comments urging me to pack her and fire it up
    geuss it was the nudge i was waiting for
    love this pipe
    cheers guys

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

although it has a large bowl and very thick walls it is still surprisingly light weight

A sign of high(er) grade briar. Congrats!!

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Melba toast was named after Dame Nellie Melba, the stage name of the Australian opera singer, Helen Porter Mitchell. The singer was quite popular with chef Auguste Escoffier of the Savoy. It is believed he created not just this “diet” toast for Ms. Melba, but a famous dessert as well.

That'd be Peach Melba, much tastier that that dry toast.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, elpfeife, canucklehead, craig61a, oldtoby, trudger, yuda, gerryp, lightxmyfire, bluegrassbrian, rsobel993, ajohnb, lochinvar, cossackjack, jiminks